Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvin*1*2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yrp!
hi, I'm looking for an image editor in which I can add and edit comments in jpegs (in a simple textfield within a jpg-file) - I used to do this in winblows with irfanview....

I tried photoshop cs3 but there's all just iptc-fields (File, File info) and what not in the image information.. i fear that's some proprietary stuff that will be gone in 5 or 10 years.

Xee doesn't display them either, Phoenix does, but you cannot edit / add jpeg comments, you can in Gimp (Image, Image properties, comment tab), but copy/paste of text from eg. the browser into Gimp doesn't work easily, besides it's geeky and slow to start

aperture seems to not display normal jpg-comments added in irfanview or gimp either. besides, aperture seems read-only, right?

.... any ideas for a good, fast and light viewer that does add/editing comments (ideally freeware)... or does someone know whether this can be done in something included in os10.5?

thanks for your help!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You mean you want to add test in the image itself so it shows when you look at the picture? Photoshop will do that. Photoshop is very good with text and gives you all kinds of control over the typography. Typically what you do is make a layer for the text.

But then maybe you want to set the data in the metadata fields. Bridge and d that as can Aperure. I'm sure others as well

thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

marvin*1*2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yrp!
So you want to edit the EXIF info present in jpeg files. right?

no.
I want to add/edit infos such as comments about the pic, explanations, references, links to the site found (source), and so on... just all kinds of background infos (metadata but not technical stuff about exposure and time and what not) - ideally in a simple and straightforward way, no funky, special fields, just one big text container to put my stuff in... as it is in irfanview and gimp...

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
well, in reveal the 'Description' field on the first page is internall (in the exif) called 'User Comment', so i think it's meant for that

marvin*1*2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yrp!
well, in reveal the 'Description' field on the first page is internall (in the exif) called 'User Comment', so i think it's meant for that

yeah i checked it out after you mentionend in your first answer, but no, it's something else. text added in irfanview/gimp didn't show in this field and I couldn't even add text in there....

oh well, i guess i'll just stick with gimp... it ain't so bad after all - it's only annoying to have to use different shortcut keys for everything (X11, no command- keys)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I know iPhoto supports adding some information such as keywords and descriptions etc. so have you tried that.

marvin*1*2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yrp!
I know iPhoto supports adding some information such as keywords and descriptions etc. so have you tried that.

ah thanks for the hint, never actually looked into iphoto as i tend to ignore proprietary software - i want to remain independent of any particular software or operating system.
I think that for the little functionality that i need, there's no reason to submit to some artificial lock-in marketing scam camouflaged by some funny library system with no real added value for me.

but looked into iphoto anyway and it seems that the text added in the comment field (bottom left, right?) is saved in the iphoto library and not in the picture.... so - no good for me.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
You're the first person I've met who's vocally 'proprieterapobic'. Are you angry that Canon and Nikon lenses don't work on each other's bodies? I mean, you're locked in there, right?

I'd suggest opening your parameters, because it seems that either your workflow is going to have to change or the parameters for your solution set will.

marvin*1*2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yrp!
You're the first person I've met who's vocally 'proprieterapobic'. Are you angry that Canon and Nikon lenses don't work on each other's bodies? I mean, you're locked in there, right?

I'd suggest opening your parameters, because it seems that either your workflow is going to have to change or the parameters for your solution set will.

nah, I'm not phobic, I don't think.
overly-critical from the average consumer's point of view, maybe.

my stance is that unless there is a compelling or very good reason to make something completely different, adhering to standards is the way to go if you're acting in the common / consumer's interest.

and I reckon that goes for hardware as much as software really, and producers are just ****ing us over with their phony and absurd arguments for buying into their own, proprietary 'standards' (like i said: lock-in marketing, definitely invented by the evil bitch troll from hell :rolleyes:).

I'm coming from the environmental studies and IT field, photography is not so much my domain (got a camera cell phone :eek:) - and trust me, not going with the smallest common denominator standards in terms of storing data always ends up in very expensive and bitchin' tedious data maintenance (or loss, if you wait long enough with porting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.