Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimbo Slice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Oakville, ON
Hi all,

I MRoogled this and found the following compact models that support recording in RAW: -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2K
Canon G9
Leica D-LUX 2 or 3

If anyone can add more to the list please let me know. Reason I ask is because I'm looking into getting a camera and I'd like the option of recording in RAW. I'm a student who just wants to get into photography as a hobby and would like greater control of editing post-"production" if thats the right term?

If the experts think that getting a camera with RAW support is unnecessary, please let me know :eek:
Thanks for all your help guys.

adversecamber

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Personally, I think getting a compact camera with RAW is unnecessary.

I'd suggest taking a look at a D-SLR. The Nikon D60 is a superb camera and very well priced. I have the D80 - superb.

With a D-SLR you have a larger chip, much better S/N ratio, less fiddly and the option to expand on the range of lenses. If you're considering the Leica then the D60 is certainly in your price range.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
You can alse consider one of the Canon DSLRs, which, as the Nikon D60 suggested by adversecamber, are an important leap in image quality and RAW performance from the P&S. Here's a few suggestions from Amazon:

All those cameras are relatively small, and, having used both the XT and the XTi, I definitely recommend them. And they are all in the same price range as the Leica, and just little higher than the G9.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
If the poster wanted a P&S with RAW why recommend a camera which is much bigger just for that feature, you're on the right track suggesting a small Canon or Nikon body, but please we all know which camera manufacturer makes an even smaller one! :)

IF you are looking for something small that shoots RAW I would recommend the Olympus E400,E410 or the E420. Yes they are another line of SLR's but they are the world's smallest (smaller than anything Canon or Nikon make) and using the G9 in a side by side comparison, only slightly bigger with the 25mm Pancake lens.

See here for comparisions:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/2008/05/dp1-shootout-pt-5-size-and-fov.html

Anyway, they include the Sigma DP1 and the Leica camera you mentioned, the Sigma which also shoots RAW. The Ricoh GX200 also shoots RAW and is a compact.

Jimbo Slice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Oakville, ON
Thanks for the replies fellahs. Just to clarify I wanted a compact because a DSLR is quite a bit to lug around all the time although I'll definitely have a looksee at those Olympus models CrackedButter mentioned.
I'm also on a budget as I'm a student lol, so lets say a maximum of $400.
The only reason I put the Leica is because I found it on MRoogle but you're right, it is quite expensive.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Personally, I think getting a compact camera with RAW is unnecessary.

Mostly this the right. If you care so much about image quality then you'd not be looking at a compact camera. But there are some exceptions. For example I like to shoot underwater. All these shots need extensive color correction and post processing. Raw is nice. There are likely many other times when you can't use the SLR but still need to do extensive post processing. But mostly you can use an SLR.

dSLRs are not long expensive. You can buy a good used Nikon D50 for $325 which is about the same ot less than a compact that can do RAW. But of course the SLR is larger and can't be taken some places.

There are a few other compacts that shoot raw.
1) Look at "CHDK. Many Canon P&S camera can be "hacked" to save in RAW format
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

2) Sigma DP1 http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/camera/dp1/index.htm

3) if you have loads of cash look at this http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Panasonic has a new LX3 coming out that should take better pics than LX1 or LX2, but it's lens is mainly wide angle (24-60mm). You might want to check out the chatter at http://www.dpreview.com.

G9 is a good camera. Only two issues, IMO: I'd prefer to have 16:9 movie output (yes, it's a camera, but I do videos with my digicams), and it's just a pinch too bulky and heavy for me.

Also, most any Canon camera can do RAW with the CHDK hack. Google for it, and save a bunch of money. (oops -- just noticed ChrisA already answered on the CHDK)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Thanks for the replies fellahs. Just to clarify I wanted a compact because a DSLR is quite a bit to lug around all the time although I'll definitely have a looksee at those Olympus models CrackedButter mentioned.
I'm also on a budget as I'm a student lol, so lets say a maximum of $400.
The only reason I put the Leica is because I found it on MRoogle but you're right, it is quite expensive.

Not only being smaller than all other SLR's, the Olympus E4xx range are also cheaper. Good luck.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
The new sigma compact records in raw but is also 2x your budget. I would go with the g9. Great camera even if it is a canon.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The new sigma compact records in raw but is also 2x your budget. I would go with the g9. Great camera even if it is a canon.

I like the Sigma and I would buy a version of it down the line when they improve its shooting speed. The G9 however is a terrible camera and isn't very wide and its low light performance is poor. However it is what you do with it that counts. I have 3 friends, 1 who has it and loves it (but has many cameras), 1 who returned it and 1 who would like it as a secondary camera to compliment his EOS 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.