Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewInTown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
If I log into my personal Apple ID on my company-provided Mac, can they see my iMessages? I assume they can and know that they have the right to monitor what I'm doing on company-provided equipment,

I was just curious about visibility of iMessages/texts on the network via the Messaging app; I am pretty confident that no one is remotely accessing my laptop, but they are definitely looking at our emails, so I assume they're also looking at our messages if we were to put our Apple ID on our Macs. Hopefully, that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help here!

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
If I log into my personal Apple ID on my company-provided Mac, can they see my iMessages? I assume they can and know that they have the right to monitor what I'm doing on company-provided equipment,

I was just curious about visibility of iMessages/texts on the network via the Messaging app; I am pretty confident that no one is remotely accessing my laptop, but they are definitely looking at our emails, so I assume they're also looking at our messages if we were to put our Apple ID on our Macs. Hopefully, that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help here!

I don’t see how’s that possible... do you have administrative access on the Mac?

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I wouldn’t think so - and I assume they monitor your email by watching it go through company servers, not by reading the stored copy on your hard drive (unless they have some kind of tracking client installed, in which case all bets are off).
iMessage is end-to-end encrypted, so they can’t read it in transit, unlike company email.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does the company manage the Mac? If so it is likely they can see most of the data on your mac. I sure would not send any negative messages on a company managed device.

NewInTown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Thanks for the input.

I do not have administrative access to my Mac; if I need to install an update, someone needs to log into my Mac as an admin to allow the updates to install. I don't know how else they would "manage" my Mac, and I'm not aware of any tracking client, but ya never know. ;)
I'm not sending anything "negative"; I was more curious than anything if they could see my personal iMessages before I determined if the convenience of having my messages on my laptop was worth the invasion of privacy.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
If your Mac is managed by a man in the middle proxy like FamilyZone or enrolled in a corporate DEP using an MDM like Airwatch, then yes, it's able to monitor all traffic....

Recently, my organization asked me if I wanted a new 2019 laptop for work, I promptly declined.
I have an older 2015 MBP that is not DEP enrolled, not going thru a MIM cloud and is not administratively controlled. So I am happy not having my organizational ISO looking at my data...

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
mdm will not capture this data natively, if you store your messages locally, the only way it can be captured is through some sort of script and they’d have to know these details in advanced, I doubt they capture this and I wouldn’t worry about it.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Generally, companies aren't concerned about what you write in a messaging app (well, so long as they don't suspect you of using it to export company secrets). They care more about whether you're doing personal activities on company time.

Unless you're suspected of sharing company secrets, it's not likely the company will care about seeing the content of your text messages. However, they almost definitely will care that you're a) using their equipment for personal use and/or b) doing it on company time. If iMessage is open, if you're logged into iMessage with your Apple ID... that's easy to detect with remote management software without doing a deep scan of your HD.

So, as others have said, best thing to do is to not use your employer's equipment for personal use, whatever that use may be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.