Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I'm one of the early iPhone adopters that has hung unto unlimited data, which is my primary reason for staying with att. I also am a former Apple Store employee and still receive the FAN discount even though I haven't worked there for years. It's time for me to get a new phone since my current iPhone is literally useless and unsellable. Sadly, I did not upgrade before Jan 8, so I couldn't get a subsidized phone. If I do stay with att, what's the best route to take in terms of a new phone? I really can't afford a $750+ tag on buying a phone outright, but I also don't want to pay an extra $25 a month for essentially leasing a phone. I'd rather sell after a year or two and make my money back that way. And if I buy through At&t's next program, do I have to get their insurance or can I go with AppleCare instead? Is just time to jump the Att ship?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Pay in full or installment are the only options unfortunately. My best bet is to find a cheaper plan then do the installment plan.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I really can't afford a $750+ tag on buying a phone outright, but I also don't want to pay an extra $25 a month for essentially leasing a phone.

What is the extra $25/mo? I upgraded to a 6s plus a couple months ago on AT&T, dropped my unlimited data plan (which was a waste because I was only using a couple hundred MB/month) and went with Next30. The phone price is the same regardless whether purchased in full or Next. It is basically a zero interest loan.

I was paying about $85/month with unlimited data on a 2 year contract with my 32gb iPhone 5s. With Next, I am paying $94/month for a 128gb 6s plus and didn't pay anything down. Best Buy had a promotion with a $100 gift certificate that I used towards Applecare.

But I switched from unlimited to the 2gb data plan. That is plenty for my needs, but if you need more then of course that would affect the cost.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I'm one of the early iPhone adopters that has hung unto unlimited data, which is my primary reason for staying with att. I also am a former Apple Store employee and still receive the FAN discount even though I haven't worked there for years. It's time for me to get a new phone since my current iPhone is literally useless and unsellable. Sadly, I did not upgrade before Jan 8, so I couldn't get a subsidized phone. If I do stay with att, what's the best route to take in terms of a new phone? I really can't afford a $750+ tag on buying a phone outright, but I also don't want to pay an extra $25 a month for essentially leasing a phone. I'd rather sell after a year or two and make my money back that way. And if I buy through At&t's next program, do I have to get their insurance or can I go with AppleCare instead? Is just time to jump the Att ship?

Unfortunately, phone subsidies are going by way of the Dodo. When it comes to the new installment plans, I would say AT&T has one of the best. There's no interest and you're basically paying what you would have been in full, but in smaller, more manageable payments. Also, AT&T gives you a lower service charge ($25 instead of $40) because you're paying the full price for the phone and not paying part of it up-front and the rest through your plan. In essence, you're paying the same amount either way, you're just more aware of it now. And when it comes down to selling the phone and getting something different, you can still do that. After paying off I think 60% of the phone, you can trade it in and get a new phone. That, however, may have changed. It's been a while since I've looked at it.

As far as it goes for insurance, you have the option of getting either AppleCare or AT&Ts offering. They don't require you to have insurance, let alone from a certain provider.

Reactions: maxsix

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
You aren't leasing either: you can sell it or pay it off early with no repercussions.

If you sell it you still are liable to them for the existing payments but they don't contact you or cancel your account if you stop using the 'associated' phone that you purchased. Did this when I upgraded a phone on my account - sold the old iPhone and purchased another phone outside of AT&T.

Reactions: Ladybug

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Unfortunately, phone subsidies are going by way of the Dodo. When it comes to the new installment plans, I would say AT&T has one of the best. There's no interest and you're basically paying what you would have been in full, but in smaller, more manageable payments. Also, AT&T gives you a lower service charge ($25 instead of $40) because you're paying the full price for the phone and not paying part of it up-front and the rest through your plan. In essence, you're paying the same amount either way, you're just more aware of it now. And when it comes down to selling the phone and getting something different, you can still do that. After paying off I think 60% of the phone, you can trade it in and get a new phone. That, however, may have changed. It's been a while since I've looked at it.

As far as it goes for insurance, you have the option of getting either AppleCare or AT&Ts offering. They don't require you to have insurance, let alone from a certain provider.
AT&T charged a $15 upgrade fee with payment plan so it's effectively 1% internet. The big problem with AT&T's program is the phone is locked to AT&T so it makes it difficult to switch to another service. Apple's program however is an unlocked iPhone.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If you go the Apple route, you do end up paying more per month over what you'd get with AT&T NEXT. However, AC+ is included and the iPhone comes unlocked, which were two big perks for me in deciding to go with Apple's program over AT&T NEXT. I'm sure if you added the insurnace, you'd end up paying about the same between Apple and NEXT, but I'd prefer to have the phone unlocked off the bat. Especially if I ultimately decide to switch carriers or travel overseas and want to use a local SIM.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I just don't want to give up true unlimited data.

How much data are you using? My wife and I realized the unlimited plan wasn't worth it since we only use about 6GB for the both of us, and that's with streaming Apple Music and only using wifi at home. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: chabig

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
You don't lease on att it's plain and simple. There is only one option.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Well, I don't have anyone else on T-Mobile so I can't join a family plan. And is their network that great?
You need to check if their coverage is great for your location. I live near Seattle so coverage here is pretty good, of course YMMV but in my opinion, they've made progress over the past couple of years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really can't afford a $750+ tag on buying a phone outright
I think your options are limited if you want to keep your unlimited plan. Have you thought about buying an iPhone used on Swappa? That may buy you some time, so to speak, then after a year or so of saving, you can get the latest phone.

I just don't want to give up true unlimited data.
Do you use a lot of data

Reactions: haudvereor

karpeltunnel10

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Missouri, USA

I'm not one to normally reply, I'm more of a lurker. But as an AT&T employee I will tell you that if you are on the old grandfathered plans we can't force you to move from it, we will tell you if there is a better option for you but whether or not you stay on the unlimited plan is totally up to you. The best way that I've found to describe the Next program is it's lease with an option to buy. Once you make that final installment payment the phone is yours forever to do whatever you please with and the installment drops off of your monthly bill. As far as your discount goes, if you don't say anything about not working at Apple anymore the rep won't know if you work there or not so your discount will stay. It has already been mentioned but you don't have to go with AT&T insurance if you don't want to. Again, that is completely up to you. If you have Uverse or DIRECTV then there is a new unlimited plan that may be even cheaper for you. That's something else to keep in mind as well. My recommendation would be to go to your nearest corporate store and they can tell you exactly how everything would affect your monthly bill.

I just noticed someone mentioned the $15 upgrade fee, that is a one-time fee for going to the Next plan. Any other phone you get in the future on the Next plan will not have that fee.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just let me know.

Reactions: TITNTUFF

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
No so. When you are looking for a home loan or other financing they look at the Leander's you are using and having the Apple financing on your record is not a good thing.
A loan applicant with a very good or excellent credit score will be unaffected by an Apple credit entry on a credit report.

Reactions: Applejuiced

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
How much data are you using? My wife and I realized the unlimited plan wasn't worth it since we only use about 6GB for the both of us, and that's with streaming Apple Music and only using wifi at home. Of course, your mileage may vary.
You realize data use is only going to go up right? 6GB may be enough today, but wait a year and it will likely not be enough.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You realize data use is only going to go up right? 6GB may be enough today, but wait a year and it will likely not be enough.

I don't see how you can generalize about this. For one thing, you don't really know how much data will cost in the future. Seems like each person needs to carefully examine their needs and choose a plan that fits them best. I had unlimited data since 2007, but retired a few years ago and now only use a few hundred MB per month. So I went with the 2gb plan when I upgraded the phone two months ago.

I was keeping the unlimited plan "just in case" I needed it at some future date. The only way I see that happening would be if I went back to work, and in that case upgrading to a bigger data plan would just be a cost of doing business. In the meantime, I don't want to pay a bunch more for an unlimited plan I don't need "just in case".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.