Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Themem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
Bristol
Hey guys and girls.

I've been working from home since March, and work have just announced that they don't plan on forcing us back to the office after seeing what we've achieved as WFH - Wahoo!

Anyway, i've been sat at the dining room table for months now, and my back has taken the brunt of it.

I was wondering if anyone has any chair recommendations for roughly £200 (~280$)

I've reached a point in my life where i'm too old to be cheap, and need something decent, so please. Any recomendations would be the most welcome!

If i may though, I need it to look professional still, not childish (zoom meetings and all that!).
Armrests wouldn't go a miss either, but i'm sure most come with this.

Please, at this price point i need something durable, comfortable and good for my back during long periods of time.

Thanks
Dom

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
With a lot of offices scaling back there’s a lot of used furniture out there. Best bet is to find an office furniture dealer that handles used furniture. I just bought a used Steelcase Leap for $200. About 5 years old with little wear. Retail on it is $1,600 and it usually sells for $900-1000 if buying in any quantity. Found it near me on Craigslist.

Themem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
Bristol
With a lot of offices scaling back there’s a lot of used furniture out there. Best bet is to find an office furniture dealer that handles used furniture. I just bought a used Steelcase Leap for $200. About 5 years old with little wear. Retail on it is $1,600 and it usually sells for $900-1000 if buying in any quantity. Found it near me on Craigslist.
Thanks for the tip Glen, i must have been living under a rock because i must admit, i'd never heard of Steelcase before. I had a look at their offerings and wow, they definitely are pricey! Had a look on Gumtree (UK version of Craigslist), but no success so far. I think i will keep an eye out, because as you say, lots of offices are getting rid of equipment over this time as they realise they don't need a physical location anymore....

I've found this chair https://www.onbuy.com/gb/fullwatt-r...leather-video-game-chair-e-s~c8410~p28541265/ but not fully convinced about the quality, especially at that price point still.

Unfortunately the $1,600 is a bit out of my price range at the point haha :eek:

I think i will just have to wait a bit longer in the hopes that something else pops up....

Do you have any other recommendation for decent brands other than Steelcase that i could possibly try track down?

Thanks again
Dom

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Hey guys and girls.

I've been working from home since March, and work have just announced that they don't plan on forcing us back to the office after seeing what we've achieved as WFH - Wahoo!

Anyway, i've been sat at the dining room table for months now, and my back has taken the brunt of it.

I was wondering if anyone has any chair recommendations for roughly £200 (~280$)

I've reached a point in my life where i'm too old to be cheap, and need something decent, so please. Any recomendations would be the most welcome!

If i may though, I need it to look professional still, not childish (zoom meetings and all that!).
Armrests wouldn't go a miss either, but i'm sure most come with this.

Please, at this price point i need something durable, comfortable and good for my back during long periods of time.

Thanks
Dom
Please keep in mind that a chair is something very personal, and what one person finds comfortable someone else won't. For instance, I like a tall back on my chairs, and I don't care about adjustable armrests because it seems I have a normal body size. With that in mind, I've tried different chairs -including way more expensive chairs- and I've found that for me the best in that price range is Ikea's Markus, which costs £150.

Themem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
Bristol
Please keep in mind that a chair is something very personal, and what one person finds comfortable someone else won't. For instance, I like a tall back on my chairs, and I don't care about adjustable armrests because it seems I have a normal body size. With that in mind, I've tried different chairs -including way more expensive chairs- and I've found that for me the best in that price range is Ikea's Markus, which costs £150.
Thank you Juanm,

I personally prefer a high back chair as you say. A head rest is a bonus, but in reality, i never swing my head back that much, or rest it against the back of the chair, but as long as it reaches and support my upper back i'm sure there shouldn't be any issues.

I will have to have a look into the Ikea Markus. I must admit, Ikea definately wasn't the first thing that came to mind - but that's a damn great idea.

I will look into it, thank you for your recommendation

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Thank you Juanm,

I personally prefer a high back chair as you say. A head rest is a bonus, but in reality, i never swing my head back that much, or rest it against the back of the chair, but as long as it reaches and support my upper back i'm sure there shouldn't be any issues.

I will have to have a look into the Ikea Markus. I must admit, Ikea definately wasn't the first thing that came to mind - but that's a damn great idea.

I will look into it, thank you for your recommendation
I know what you mean about Ikea, but I've found it way better than the ones you find in office supply stores. One reason I like on my Markus is that since it doesn't have many adjustable features, it remains rock solid even after years of use, whereas other chairs (at least in that price range) get worn and end up having a lot of play. The seat itself is of some kind of fake leather plastic material, so it's spill-resistant, but it's not slippy so it's not bad for your posture, and the back is meshed, so it doesn't get hot. I've had mine 4 years or so now, and before that I had one very similar model at work, and I can't fault it. That said, the only way to know for sure is for you to try them in person.

Themem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
Bristol
I know what you mean about Ikea, but I've found it way better than the ones you find in office supply stores. One reason I like on my Markus is that since it doesn't have many adjustable features, it remains rock solid even after years of use, whereas other chairs (at least in that price range) get worn and end up having a lot of play. The seat itself is of some kind of fake leather plastic material, so it's spill-resistant, but it's not slippy so it's not bad for your posture, and the back is meshed, so it doesn't get hot. I've had mine 4 years or so now, and before that I had one very similar model at work, and I can't fault it. That said, the only way to know for sure is for you to try them in person.
I will have to take a trip to IKEA when it re-opens as i have one roughly 30 minutes or so from me which is nice.

The Markus looks perfect for what i need. TMI but in the summer sweaty back is a real issue, so i'm sure the back mesh would be a godsend.

As for the adjustability, meh, this isn't too much of an issue. I can see it goes up and down which is all I could ask for.

I have always wondered with the mesh style chairs though about their durability. I always worry i will get something caught in the mesh, fray it and ruin the whole thing :/ By the sounds of it you haven't run into any sort of issue like that?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
with the mighty pandemic and peeps working from home the regular down town office tower has been abandoned. For office buildings greater than three stories tall it is raining used office furniture on to the sidewalk.

when you get a chance do a drive by a local salvage store and sit in a few gently used chairs Buy the first office chair that calls your name.

Last edited:

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I will have to take a trip to IKEA when it re-opens as i have one roughly 30 minutes or so from me which is nice.

The Markus looks perfect for what i need. TMI but in the summer sweaty back is a real issue, so i'm sure the back mesh would be a godsend.

As for the adjustability, meh, this isn't too much of an issue. I can see it goes up and down which is all I could ask for.

I have always wondered with the mesh style chairs though about their durability. I always worry i will get something caught in the mesh, fray it and ruin the whole thing :/ By the sounds of it you haven't run into any sort of issue like that?
No, I haven't had any issues with the mesh wearing out. The seat is beginning to show that I've used it every day for four years or so, but the mesh still looks perfect.

I should mention that looking into it, the Markus that goes for 150 has a fabric seat, and the fake leather one I have is a bit more expensive at 179 (but still within your budget).

As someone else mentioned, lots of companies are shutting their offices so you might be able to get a good deal there.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I have tried many office chairs from work and my parents and my own. Most of them are cheap and some are around mid range price £100ish. None of them feel comfortable sitting too long. So I decided to try gaming chair instead. Took me about 6 months searching online reading reviews etc I finally pick SecretLab gaming chair. It most expensive chair I ever pay for and plan keep it very long time. Turn out it is most comfortable chair and can sit long time if need to. I pick fabric over PU leather so it cooler summer time. I didn't want bright colour gaming chair. Want one looks like can go office and made from fabric. SecretLab have many options so I pick dark plain colour chair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.