Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuuvicious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Norway
Soooo, today I figured I wanted to replace the original, crisp thermal paste on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13" Retina. I opened the back case and just started working on it. Except one thing... I forgot to disconnect the battery, but disconnected the keyboard cable (I think LOL). Anyway, applying new thermal paste went smooth and I screwed everything back on. When I turned my MacBook on after the applying, it wouldn't turn back on, and I have no idea what happened. What could happen if I forgot to disconnect the battery, and can it be fixed?

Attachments

• Screenshot_79.png
    Screenshot_79.png
    649.4 KB · Views: 677

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
This'll sound basic but have you tried disconnecting the battery and reattaching it again?
Perhaps the keyboard cable is loose and hence the power button isn't attached?

nuuvicious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Norway
This'll sound basic but have you tried disconnecting the battery and reattaching it again?
Perhaps the keyboard cable is loose and hence the power button isn't attached?
I reattached the keyboard cable on both ends and made sure it went all the way in! I never touched the battery or disconnected it. But I will try:) thanks!

Reactions: ruslan120

nuuvicious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Norway
The little light on the charger does turn on when I plug it into my macbook though.......................... think I might've fried some parts inside the laptop... GGWP

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
:’[ sorry to hear....gg. If you have any repair shops near you it might be worth taking it in for a diagnostic instead of buying replacement parts individually.

Reactions: nuuvicious

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Always disconnect the battery before working on the inside. I just repasted my MBPr 15" (Mid-2015) that is still under repair warranties from the display coating and battery recall, and I was super careful while working inside of it. Disconnecting the battery can sometimes be a pain on these retina MacBook pros, but it's definitely worth it. These logic boards are known to be fragile, and doing the slightest thing wrong can kill them...and they aren't cheap to replace. I'd suggest taking it to someone who does board-level repair as Apple will probably quote you for a flat rate logic board replacement.

Reactions: ruslan120

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Try holding down the power button for 10 seconds.
[doublepost=1565382919][/doublepost]Also try shorting the power on pads to see if it is your board or keyboard:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If you open up the MacBook I think it voids the warranty. I had a similar issue in that past with another MacBook Pro and wouldn't come on because the screen brightness was at 0. But it was on the whole time. I just had to tap the screen brighter key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.