Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
What does the temperature have to be before you start being cautious about condensation when going inside from the cold? 40 degrees? 32 degrees?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
It has to do with the dew point. Assuming you are walking into a house with 30-40% relative humidity, if anything is colder than about 55 degrees, condensation is possible.

If you let equipment warm up slowly in a bag, the moist air is mostly kept away from the cold surfaces. Even a lens cap should keep most of the moist air off of the lens. Internal components should be relatively protected by the external components, so you would be unlikely to get internal condensation. If you retract and extend a cold lens inside though, you will suck all of the warm moist air into the lens and may have problems.

The best bet is to always warm up equipment slowly. If you need a sweater outside, it's likely your camera will need one when it comes in.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Awesome, thanks for the very informative response. If I am shooting in the city on a cold morning, and I have to go in and out of buildings a few times, will my camera be ok if I just make sure to put it in my camera bag before going in, and only taking it back out once exiting the building?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If the camera goes in the bag before you go into the buildings, you shouldn't have any problems at all. While you are inside it may warm up a little, but warm camera to cold air is fine. Have fun.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Cool, thanks again. I am currently walking around in the city, and I am having fun :)

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I just thought of one more additional question...

If a temperature change isn't enough to cause condensation to form on my glasses, is it really not enough to worry about in regards to condensation forming on the camera?

In other words, is the condensation that Canon warns about in the user manual the type where the moisture is dripping off and very noticeable, etc. If there is no noticeable wetness, there is no condensation, correct?

I suppose this question might be a little funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.