Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
There are three users on one Mac, (macOS 14.4) - I want to create a shared folder on an external drive (the internal HD of the M1 Mac mini does not have enough space), which is visible to all users on the computer, but not the external volume containing it. All users should have the same (read/write) permissions. Can this be done?

Note:
  • This is part of a move from iCloud, (cost saving on storage).
  • I am aware that it is possible to remove external drives from the sidebar view, I want to know if the drive can be made completely invisible to non admins.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I want to create a shared folder on an external drive (the internal HD of the M1 Mac mini does not have enough space), which is visible to all users on the computer, but not the external volume containing it.

You have an external volume mounted on your mini but no one, including the administrator, can see it other than the shared folder?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
It is hard (impossible?) to prevent a user from seeing the existence of a disk drive and the volumes it contains. Also for your users to be able to see a folder on a volume they need read access back to the root of that volume, so certainly will be able to see the volume and all its top level folders.

I suggest, create a new APFS volume on the external drive and give that the required permissions (put 3 users in a new group and give the volume R/W for that group). But they will still be able to see that other volumes exist.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
Thanks @gilby101, actually, having just checked the cost of 50GB of iCloud storage, (£0.99), I think I'll just downgrade my iCloud+ plan, instead of cancelling it completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.