Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asr113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2021
I'm starting an engineering PhD in which will involve some 'power hungry' CAD and simulation software. These are mostly Windows specific so i'm being provided with a desktop to deal with those applications, however in reality most of my time is going to spent researching and writing papers. Ive got my eyes on an m1 macbook for these tasks (sadly i don't think i can wait for M1X). With the current COVID situation, i may need to work from home on oaccasions and remote into my desktop PC. With that in mind, here is my question:

Is the upgrade to 16gb RAM required for MS Remote Desktop to work effectively?

I should add that i realise that the quality of my internet connection is probably the biggest determinant of smooth running.

Many thanks! Adam

global-citizen

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
RDP is showing the remote display only. The Windows PC is still doing all the computation for whatever's running locally.

Running RDP at 2100x1900 on my M1 Mini it's using about 160MB of memory

Reactions: Krevnik and asr113

asr113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2021
Ah yes, that make logical sense! And great, more money towards an Ipad air!

Thanks for the responses

asr113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2021
Has it been working well on the M1 macs? I currently use it on a windows laptop and it can be a bit sluggish at some points, i find i need a very good internet connection for it to work well.

asr113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2021
How good is Remote Desktop on iPad? For my needs, the new iPad Pro could cover my needs!

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
RDP will run well on anything. It's not processor intensive at all, but yes, a reliable internet connection is important.
This. I usually use RDP from iPads - and while there are some restrictions due to the way the cursor works n iPadOS, the OP will have absolutely no problem running it on MacOS.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Thanks to Apple, MS is now creating ARM versions of their software. Amazing. This bodes well for the future of WoA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.