Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterjun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Once my Iphoto detects my digital camera I transfer it to the photos but where do all the raw photos go? Is it safe to delete the photos on my memory card?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Once my Iphoto detects my digital camera I transfer it to the photos but where do all the raw photos go? Is it safe to delete the photos on my memory card?

They go into the "iPhoto Library" which lives in the "Pictures" folder.

The nest question to ask is "How to I make backup copies of the pictures I just downloaded?" This is the reason I never import images directly from the camera to iPhotos. I always make a folder called "date-subjectname" put the images there. then burn a CD then delete any that are really bad then import to iPhoto. I delete them from the camera memory just before the next time I use the camera The entire iPhoto library gets backed up periodically too.

So, no it's not safe to delete them from your camera after importing them to iPhoto. Delete them only after you have three copies of each image file on three different media. One of the media shoud be in a different geographical location

peterjun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
thanks for the help guys, also is there a way to make an iphoto album "private"? Sometimes I show photos of events to friends and such and dont really want them to see my personal photos/families etc... Is there a way to somehow make some of the albums password protected?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
What I do is to upload my photos from the camera's CF card to the computer through a CF card reader (there are also multi-memory card readers available to cover SD, XD, whatever, cards, too). I upload to a new file that I set up on the desktop, and then from there I copy to another HD before doing anything else. After that, I open Photo Mechanic and review all the images, kicking out the bad ones, etc., and set aside good ones to then be imported into Aperture. I post-process in Aperture and then from there ship the images to Smugmug or Zenfolio.

I don't use iPhoto except to upload images from my iPhone, so am not familiar enough with it to tell you whether or not there is some way you can designate "private" folders. I would think that rather than showing people your iPhoto files directly on your own computer you could take/send them to a website/photo hosting site and there, indeed, you can make certain folders private.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
thanks for the help guys, also is there a way to make an iphoto album "private"? Sometimes I show photos of events to friends and such and dont really want them to see my personal photos/families etc... Is there a way to somehow make some of the albums password protected?

iPhoto 08 has a feature to hide the snaps you dont want to see.
You could try that out.

peterjun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
I believe they go into Pictures>iPhoto Library>Originals.

Double check that before you do anything foolish, though.

so its an identical copy from my memory card right? Like iphoto doesnt degrade the quality or anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.