Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
I 'think' this is the right place for this - apologies if it isn't though!

Basically right.. my storage on my macbook is confusing me.

Under the "about this mac > storage" it says "167.26GB free of 249.8GB".. that makes sense to me.. but then it goes on to show the little bar diagram thingy and underneath it saying:

Apps - 115.79GB
Audio - 15.88GB
Photos - 15.88GB
Movies - 8.91GB
Backups - 2GB

Does that mean how much I have left of each category? Or how much I've used up.. cause if it's how much I've used up then that doesn't make sense as to how much actual free space I have left :/

Thanks for the help in advance!

BTW my harddrive is 251GB flash drive

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I 'think' this is the right place for this - apologies if it isn't though!

Basically right.. my storage on my macbook is confusing me.

Under the "about this mac > storage" it says "167.26GB free of 249.8GB".. that makes sense to me.. but then it goes on to show the little bar diagram thingy and underneath it saying:

Apps - 115.79GB
Audio - 15.88GB
Photos - 15.88GB
Movies - 8.91GB
Backups - 2GB

Does that mean how much I have left of each category? Or how much I've used up.. cause if it's how much I've used up then that doesn't make sense as to how much actual free space I have left :/

Thanks for the help in advance!

BTW my harddrive is 251GB flash drive
The numbers are how much you've used up.

They are estimated from spotlight's index and the numbers can be way off. In case of doubt, disk utility has the right of it as far as free space goes.

SuperMacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
The numbers are how much you've used up.

They are estimated from spotlight's index and the numbers can be way off. In case of doubt, disk utility has the right of it as far as free space goes.

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah the numbers are way off.. seeing as it's saying I have 115 GB of apps used (I don't even have that many apps - literally just a handful!) when I've only used ~80GB of my memory according to the disk utility.

Is there any way to fix it so the numbers at least seemingly match a bit better?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Cheers for the reply.

Yeah the numbers are way off.. seeing as it's saying I have 115 GB of apps used (I don't even have that many apps - literally just a handful!) when I've only used ~80GB of my memory according to the disk utility.

Is there any way to fix it so the numbers at least seemingly match a bit better?
I'm not on a Mac at the moment, so going off memory here.

Go into system preferences, then spotlight, there should be a privacy pane. Add the whole Macintosh HD to the list of things you do not want spotlight to search.

At this point I'm not sure whether a reboot's necessary, but do it anyway, it can't hurt.

Go back to the same tab, remove Macintosh HD from the list you put it on. Spotlight should then reindex the whole drive. It can take a while and could very well make your computer run a bit on the warm side while it's going through the whole thing, but once it's done the numbers should be okay.

SuperMacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
I'm not on a Mac at the moment, so going off memory here.

Go into system preferences, then spotlight, there should be a privacy pane. Add the whole Macintosh HD to the list of things you do not want spotlight to search.

At this point I'm not sure whether a reboot's necessary, but do it anyway, it can't hurt.

Go back to the same tab, remove Macintosh HD from the list you put it on. Spotlight should then reindex the whole drive. It can take a while and could very well make your computer run a bit on the warm side while it's going through the whole thing, but once it's done the numbers should be okay.

Thank-you :D It worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.