Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonhamct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Background:
I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
(2) HP E231i 23-in monitors
The monitors have a VGA, DVI, Display Port, and a USB 2.0 B upstream ports​
The dock provided by IT at my company ThinkPad Onelink Pro
The dock has a DVI, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, and a Display Port (ethernet port as well)​

Goal:
I would like to be able to connect my MacBook Pro with the 2 HP monitors. I am not sure if the current dock has the capabilities of doing that or if I need to look into alternatives. My best guess is to do a Display Port to USB cord from the monitor to the dock for each monitors. Then do a USB C to Display Port cord from the Mac to the Dock.

Before I go buying things and ordering cords, I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Another thread I read was talking about a similar item but more along the lines of HDMI ports. I'd prefer 1 Dock that handles it all.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Background:
I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
(2) HP E231i 23-in monitors
The monitors have a VGA, DVI, Display Port, and a USB 2.0 B upstream ports​
The dock provided by IT at my company ThinkPad Onelink Pro
The dock has a DVI, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, and a Display Port (ethernet port as well)​

Goal:
I would like to be able to connect my MacBook Pro with the 2 HP monitors. I am not sure if the current dock has the capabilities of doing that or if I need to look into alternatives. My best guess is to do a Display Port to USB cord from the monitor to the dock for each monitors. Then do a USB C to Display Port cord from the Mac to the Dock.

Before I go buying things and ordering cords, I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Another thread I read was talking about a similar item but more along the lines of HDMI ports. I'd prefer 1 Dock that handles it all.

Your dock won't work it is only for a thinkpad.

So you can go to Amazon or some other place and get a couple of USB-C to Display port cables and be done.

I am not sure if there are issues with your running it with 3 displays (laptop + 2 external monitors) at the same time. You might let us know if it is a 13" or 15" MBP and if it has a discrete GPU (15" only). Someone smarter than I will be able to let you know if your config works with 3 displays.

Last edited:

bonhamct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Jerry, thank you! I will look into doing that.

I was hoping there might be a dock that everything could pass through so there isn't so much unplugging and plugging back in of cords when I go to meetings or take my laptop home.

To help add clarification I have a 2017 15" MBP with Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB and Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.