Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Semester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Right now it doesn't seem to be possible to connect lightning-headphones to the remote. The point of this would of course be to get the sound from the headphones instead of the tv.

Why this would be nice is because one would no longer need a 10 meter headphone cable if you want to watch tv when other people in the house are sleeping. Or as I'm doing right now, watching without sound. I'm watching golf so sound isn't too important luckily, but obviously that's not always the case.

Anyways, would it be technically possible to do this? If so, could the current Apple TV 4 remote (technically/theoretically) support this after only a software update? That is: the one I'm using right now, not one I might buy a year from now.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Since this is a standard feature on a ROKU remote. I would imagine it is very feasible if Apple chose to provide the feature.

ChrisBUczeksmith

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2016
Right now it doesn't seem to be possible to connect lightning-headphones to the remote. The point of this would of course be to get the sound from the headphones instead of the tv.

Why this would be nice is because one would no longer need a 10 meter headphone cable if you want to watch tv when other people in the house are sleeping. Or as I'm doing right now, watching without sound. I'm watching golf so sound isn't too important luckily, but obviously that's not always the case.

Anyways, would it be technically possible to do this? If so, could the current Apple TV 4 remote (technically/theoretically) support this after only a software update? That is: the one I'm using right now, not one I might buy a year from now.

Bluetooth headset works directly from appletv - no cable required. Also doesn't depend on remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.