Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
I have an old dinosaur MacBook Air early 2015 with Thunderbolt 2. I'm wondering if with the right drivers (and adapter), I'd be able to connect it to my Dell D6000 docking station that has USB-C. The MacBook Air has a female Thunderbolt 2 connector, and the docking station has a male USB-C connector. I just need to use it so that I can take advantage of my dual monitor setup.

Does such adapter exist? I've looked everywhere and I can only find the official Apple Thunderbolt 2 female to Thunderbolt 3 male adapter.

Any advice would be appreciated...JP

Attachments

• IMG_9508.jpeg
    IMG_9508.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_9509.jpeg
    IMG_9509.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_9507.jpeg
    IMG_9507.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 323

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The D6000 has a built-in USB-C to USB-A adapter. The MacBook Air has a USB-A port on the left side.

Why are you trying to use Thunderbolt?

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
The D6000 has a built-in USB-C to USB-A adapter. The MacBook Air has a USB-A port on the left side.

Why are you trying to use Thunderbolt?
To connect the dual monitor setup. With USB-A I don't get any display nor power to the laptop.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
To connect the dual monitor setup. With USB-A I don't get any display nor power to the laptop.

The dock supports dual display using USB-A on Windows. I’ve used it that way on Windows notebooks. Have you tried the appropriate driver on the DisplayLink site? Thunderbolt 2 nor USB-A don’t support USB Power Delivery so the dock will never work that way.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
The dock supports dual display using USB-A on Windows. I’ve used it that way on Windows notebooks. Have you tried the appropriate driver on the DisplayLink site? Thunderbolt 2 nor USB-A don’t support USB Power Delivery so the dock will never work that way.
I haven't tried it via Windows with the MBA 2015. I'm running Monterey on it.

So are you saying that Thunderbolt 2 will not support the displays with the D6000 docking station, even if I find the correct adapter and install the DisplayLink drivers?

My other laptop, a MBP M1, has Thunberbolt 4 so it has no problems connecting to the D6000 docking station once I installed the drivers.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I haven't tried it via Windows with the MBA 2015. I'm running Monterey on it.

So are you saying that Thunderbolt 2 will not support the displays with the D6000 docking station, even if I find the correct adapter and install the DisplayLink drivers?

My other laptop, a MBP M1, has Thunberbolt 4 so it has no problems connecting to the D6000 docking station once I installed the drivers.

I have never seen a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter. So I would completely forget that idea. The benefit of using USB-C on that dock is support for 3 monitors and power delivery. You have 2 monitors. Thunderbolt 2 doesn’t support power delivery and no adapter can add that feature.

On a regular Dell notebook running Windows, this dock can drive 2 monitors using USB-A.

I would focus on using USB-A.

1. Try using legacy drivers if the most recent one doesn’t work.

2. Perform a firmware update on the dock using a Windows machine.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
I have never seen a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter. So I would completely forget that idea. The benefit of using USB-C on that dock is support for 3 monitors and power delivery. You have 2 monitors. Thunderbolt 2 doesn’t support power delivery and no adapter can add that feature.

On a regular Dell notebook running Windows, this dock can drive 2 monitors using USB-A.

I would focus on using USB-A.

1. Try using legacy drivers if the most recent one doesn’t work.

2. Perform a firmware update on the dock using a Windows machine.
Thanks! I'll install Windows 10 on my MBA 2015 and go the route you suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.