Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Thanks to this thread, I have become aware of an issue connecting to one of my Samba file servers. Samba 4.13 Features added/changed: SMBv1 only protocol options deprecated. A number of smb.conf parameters for less-secure authentication methods which are only possible over SMBv1 are deprecated in this release. I have the following in /etc/samba/smb.conf ...

# SMB1 Mac OS X 10.5.8
ntlm auth = yes

Up until now I was able to connect using SMB1 aka SMBv1 aka NT1 aka SMB 1.0 Server Message Block (SMB.) I upgraded that machine recently and a new version of samba that came with the upgrade:

# smbd --version
Version 4.13.13-Debian

I have another server that I can still connect to via SMB1:

# smbd --version
Version 4.9.5-Debian

Unless I am missing something? It seems that Samba is stripping away more and more of SMB 1. Of course, there are other options, but on my little walled off LAN it was nice to be able to connect to the file server from Mac OS X 10.5.8 using SMB1.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks to this thread, I have become aware of an issue connecting to one of my Samba file servers. Samba 4.13 Features added/changed: SMBv1 only protocol options deprecated. A number of smb.conf parameters for less-secure authentication methods which are only possible over SMBv1 are deprecated in this release. I have the following in /etc/samba/smb.conf ...

# SMB1 Mac OS X 10.5.8
ntlm auth = yes

Up until now I was able to connect using SMB1 aka SMBv1 aka NT1 aka SMB 1.0 Server Message Block (SMB.) I upgraded that machine recently and a new version of samba that came with the upgrade:

# smbd --version
Version 4.13.13-Debian

I have another server that I can still connect to via SMB1:

# smbd --version
Version 4.9.5-Debian

Unless I am missing something? It seems that Samba is stripping away more and more of SMB 1. Of course, there are other options, but on my little walled off LAN it was nice to be able to connect to the file server from Mac OS X 10.5.8 using SMB1.
Have you tried using CIFS://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to connect instead of just SMB://

CIFs forces SMB1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.