Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Hi folks,
My 2012 Mac Mini is still going strong and I've used it with a Dell U2515H (2560x1440 pixels) display for a few years now. Because I'm doing a lot of graphical work lately I decided to get me another Dell display with the same QHD resolution, a U2518D.
But, unfortunately untiol now I haven't been able to get this setup working properly. The first display is connected to the Thunderbolt port and works fine. For the second display I use the HDMI port but the resolution is maximal 2048 x 1152 which is awfull.
I tried daisy chaining them (the U2518D has a displayport output) but then the image is mirrored (in the good resolution).

Is there a way to set these two displays up in full resolution, but not mirrored?

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure I was in the same boat just recently. When I was on High Sierra with my Mini, the displays worked fine. When Mojave came out, the resolution didn't work. Or I think it was a problem with High Sierra and the OS before that it worked fine....

anyways, I digress.

I ended up downloading and buying SwitchResX which fixed everything. I have two BenQ 32" screens running 2560x1440 (at the time they were both on the mini), but then I got a cMP and put one on the cMP and one on the Mini, but I am also now running a eGPU with a Vega 56 card in it.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
I'm pretty sure I was in the same boat just recently. When I was on High Sierra with my Mini, the displays worked fine. When Mojave came out, the resolution didn't work. Or I think it was a problem with High Sierra and the OS before that it worked fine....

anyways, I digress.

I ended up downloading and buying SwitchResX which fixed everything. I have two BenQ 32" screens running 2560x1440 (at the time they were both on the mini), but then I got a cMP and put one on the cMP and one on the Mini, but I am also now running a eGPU with a Vega 56 card in it.

Thanks a lot for the tip, iGobbleoff! I installed SwitchResX and it works perfect.

For other people who have the same issue: the app lets you make your own custom resolutions. The HDMI output of the 2012 mac mini is limited tot 1920x1080 pixel at 60 Hz. But if the Hz is lower the output of pixels can be bigger. If you set it to the desired resolution it calculates the Hz value for you. In my case this is 39,42 Hz and I don't see the difference with my other screen that is working on 60 Hz. Very happy with this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.