Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuworrall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
North Wales, UK
Hi All

Im after a new 2nd monitor for my late 2014 5k imac as my Dell 24" has packed in.

Ive been looking at re-conditioned Dell P2715QT on ebay but wanted to check what my connection options are if anyone knows?

Im using thunderbolt 2 to go to some G-raid external drives and a spare port on the Imac.

Does anyone know if I can connect a thunderbolt 2 cable direct to the display to get 4k @ 60Hz?

Alternatively can anyone recommend another decent IPS screen that would work with my iMac 5k connections?

thanks Stu

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Does anyone know if I can connect a thunderbolt 2 cable direct to the display to get 4k @ 60Hz?
The Dell P2715Q(t) has a MiniDisplayPort 1.2 and a full-size DisplayPort 1.2 input, so you need to use a MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable or a MiniDisplayPort-to-MiniDisplayPort cable.

Do not use a Thunderbolt cable because it just plain won't work, and do not use a MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter or cable either because these will limit you to 30 Hz at "4K" unless they're an active DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter and HDMI 2.0 is enabled in the monitor's settings (it's disabled by default).

Last edited:
Reactions: stuworrall

stuworrall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
North Wales, UK
well I ended up with a bit of a bonus!

I ordered a Dell P2715QT and the ebay seller got back to me to say they had made a mistake with the listing and had none left. They then asked if I wanted a Dell up3216q instead for the same price so I snapped their hands off! Its arrived in perfect condition and is a beast!! :)

I just have to wait for my humanscale M8 monitor arm to be delivered now to fit it

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.