Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Hello,
I am just about to buy my first wireless headphones (RHA AM650) replacing wired Sennheiser Momentum in-ears and I have a few questions.

Firstly, as these aren't Beats or AirPods, will the pricing and overall use be smooth or a bit tricky?

Secondly, is there a way in iOS11 to see the battery level of the bluetooth headphones?

Finally, do bluetooth headphones affect iPhone battery usage much? I have an iPhone 7.

Thanks in advance!

These are the headphones btw: https://www.rha-audio.com/se/products/earphones/ma650-wireless

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Hello,
I am just about to buy my first wireless headphones (RHA AM650) replacing wired Sennheiser Momentum in-ears and I have a few questions.

Firstly, as these aren't Beats or AirPods, will the pricing and overall use be smooth or a bit tricky?

Secondly, is there a way in iOS11 to see the battery level of the bluetooth headphones?

Finally, do bluetooth headphones affect iPhone battery usage much? I have an iPhone 7.

Thanks in advance!

These are the headphones btw: https://www.rha-audio.com/se/products/earphones/ma650-wireless
1) The new Beats products and the Air Pods both run on Apple’s W1 chip; this has been praised for its quick connection capabilities and simple setup

2) Pulling down Notification Center, if the widget is enabled, will display you your external device’s battery life

3) Bluetooth has come a long way, especially if your headphones have that W1 built in. The chip allows for greater power efficiency. Even if you didn’t have that, BT is much less a drain than it once was

Hope that helps!

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
1) The new Beats products and the Air Pods both run on Apple’s W1 chip; this has been praised for its quick connection capabilities and simple setup

2) Pulling down Notification Center, if the widget is enabled, will display you your external device’s battery life

3) Bluetooth has come a long way, especially if your headphones have that W1 built in. The chip allows for greater power efficiency. Even if you didn’t have that, BT is much less a drain than it once was

Hope that helps!

1) Yes exactly, but the headphones I am buying aren't from Beats or Apple so I will have to pair those with the iPhone in the settings app.

2) That's cool! I'll have to enable that widget.

3) Good news, I've never really turned on bluetooth because I thought it would drain my battery so it's good news that that isn't the case anymore.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
1) Yes exactly, but the headphones I am buying aren't from Beats or Apple so I will have to pair those with the iPhone in the settings app.

2) That's cool! I'll have to enable that widget.

3) Good news, I've never really turned on bluetooth because I thought it would drain my battery so it's good news that that isn't the case anymore.
I have the Bose QC35's and once you have paired them, they find each other if turned on and in range pretty quickly and easily.
I'm sure yours will be the same.

Reactions: Mr. 123

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I tried the bluetooth headphones in the store and the minimum volume was really loud, so loud in fact that I didn't buy the headphones which is a shame because they sounded fantastic. I know this isn't a headphone forum but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with too loud bluetooth headphones.

When listening to music through my wired Sennheiser Momentum in ear headphones, I usually listened with 25-50% volume, usually around 35% (on the iPhone volume scale of 0-100%). With the bluetooth headphones, the minimum volume (2 steps) sounded like 40% of the volume I'd use with my old in ears and that worked fine for soft tracks but for louder tracks it was just way too loud. I have read that this is a common problem with bluetooth headphones, particularly on iOS so is there a fix for this? It seems weird that the bluetooth headphones can't play soft music so are they somehow set to a too high volume before they are connected to the iPhone?

I have very good ears and don't like too loud music in headphones, in speakers no problem but in headphones it is uncomfortable.

Help would be appreciated.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I tried the bluetooth headphones in the store and the minimum volume was really loud, so loud in fact that I didn't buy the headphones which is a shame because they sounded fantastic. I know this isn't a headphone forum but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with too loud bluetooth headphones.

When listening to music through my wired Sennheiser Momentum in ear headphones, I usually listened with 25-50% volume, usually around 35% (on the iPhone volume scale of 0-100%). With the bluetooth headphones, the minimum volume (2 steps) sounded like 40% of the volume I'd use with my old in ears and that worked fine for soft tracks but for louder tracks it was just way too loud. I have read that this is a common problem with bluetooth headphones, particularly on iOS so is there a fix for this? It seems weird that the bluetooth headphones can't play soft music so are they somehow set to a too high volume before they are connected to the iPhone?

I have very good ears and don't like too loud music in headphones, in speakers no problem but in headphones it is uncomfortable.

Help would be appreciated.
Not on my QC35's. I can control the volume until it's barely audible. I've never had them at their loudest.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Not on my QC35's. I can control the volume until it's barely audible. I've never had them at their loudest.
That's nice! I would like bluetooth headphones to act this way. I tried on the RHA MA650s and they had this problem and after I tried the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless and they had the same issue... When I lowered the volume even more than the second step (which was about as loud as I would listen to really quiet tracks), the audio stopped and I heard some connecting sound. When I tried to lower the volume on the actual headphones it didn't make any difference as the headphonecontrolls were connected to the iPhone volume slider.

I might need to go back to wired headphones if I can't find a way to go around this because I won't go deaf for wireless lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.