Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
I'm making a stop motion animation for a uni project and would like to connect my camera to my MB, so that the image is captured into the MB monitor.

I studied animation about four years ago and the rostrum cameras we used were connected to Adobe Premier on a PC. Each tap of the space bar took a single frame. However I've not actually tried this myself on my own equipment.

I have a Canon Ixus 40 digital camera and a Sony Digital 8 Handycam.

Is it even possible for either of these camera? The Sony video camera does USB streaming but it is at a low quality and resolution which rules out that option.

If not I can just capture using the camera alone.

Much appreciated. :apple:

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Have a look at iStopMotion, it may assist.

However with your cameras, unless you have FireWire on the video camera, it may not be possible to hook up directly.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Canon cameras come with software called "remote capture". I've never used it, but I think it basically allows for tethered shooting. I doubt it would go straight into Premier, but at least you could see each shot on a decent screen to make sure it worked before you moved on.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Canon cameras come with software called "remote capture". I've never used it, but I think it basically allows for tethered shooting.

Also, Leopard comes with "Image Capture" which now has a teathered shooting feature. Whith the camera plugged in with USB Image Capture has a button labelled "take a picture". But there is no live view untill after you trip the shutter.

The neat thing here is that even an entry level SLR can do a capture with enough quality for a major Hollywood film. I tried this years ago with lower end equipment. It's a LOT of work good luck.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
Thanks for the info.

iStopMotion looks great. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.