Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bzwht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I have an iPhone 8, and I want to copy videos off and onto my Windows PC. The lightning-to-USB connector that came with the iPhone seems to be USB 2.0; file transfer takes forever. What connectors do I need to use to get USB 3.0 speeds? I assume if I get the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and hook it up to my computer's USB 3.0 port using a USB 3.0 cable, that would work, right?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have an iPhone 8, and I want to copy videos off and onto my Windows PC. The lightning-to-USB connector that came with the iPhone seems to be USB 2.0; file transfer takes forever. What connectors do I need to use to get USB 3.0 speeds? I assume if I get the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and hook it up to my computer's USB 3.0 port using a USB 3.0 cable, that would work, right?
No, that won't work. For some unknown reason, Apple limits transfer speeds off the iPhone to USB 2.0. The Lightning to USB 3.0 adapter is to be used with devices like card readers and ethernet adapters.

bzwht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Oh... that's weird. So how do people copy large videos off their iPhones? WiFi/bluetooth connections or something?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Oh... that's weird. So how do people copy large videos off their iPhones? WiFi/bluetooth connections or something?
Perhaps 802.11ac wireless might be a little faster, but I doubt it. I think we all just suffer with slow transfers and wait for USB-C phones.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I don't have an iphone, but when I had another brand of smartphone with USB 2.0 speeds what I did was just remove the microSD card and place it in my computer. You still don't get full usb 3.0 speeds, but depending on the card you use, you can get around 90MB/s if it is a class 10 card.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I don't have an iphone, but when I had another brand of smartphone with USB 2.0 speeds what I did was just remove the microSD card and place it in my computer. You still don't get full usb 3.0 speeds, but depending on the card you use, you can get around 90MB/s if it is a class 10 card.
iPhones don't have removable storage, so that's no help for this problem.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Perhaps 802.11ac wireless might be a little faster, but I doubt it. I think we all just suffer with slow transfers and wait for USB-C phones.
That will not be a guarantee of greater speed.

USB-C, like all USB-[letter] designations, is just a connector type and doesn't specify any particular power or data types. Apple will likely limit what data types and speeds are available. They'll likely support USB3.2gen1 (nee USB3.1gen1 nee USB3.0) speeds, but there is no guarantee.

High power (read: fast) charging, both proprietary and USB-IF PowerDelivery, can interfer with high speed data. They can coexist, but that requires more expensive cableing. Apple's supplied USB-C charging cable for the current iPPs only supports USB-2 data to save cost.

Reactions: chabig

bzwht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
That will not be a guarantee of greater speed.
High power (read: fast) charging, both proprietary and USB-IF PowerDelivery, can interfer with high speed data. They can coexist, but that requires more expensive cableing. Apple's supplied USB-C charging cable for the current iPPs only supports USB-2 data to save cost.

So is there a cable or cable+adapter I can buy that will allow me to get USB 3.0 speeds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.