Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
I wondered if I could utilize FW 800 port in my MBP somehow and searched any adapter or cable. Can not find one.
Is there way to use FW 800 port for usb c devices? Would be speed beter then connecting it to USB A?

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Pity. I was hoping it could be used to connect external drive as I write in title.
Sorry missed that. If the drive is an enclosure with a SATA HDD or SSD inside, you could take it out and put in in a FW 800 enclosure to get a double speed compared to USB 2, but those are incredibly expensive...

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Thanks. I was just exploring easy way to employ that port. I searched as mad any cable or adapter but found just multiport expensive things so tried ask if I have not missed something. Nothing happens :).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks. I was just exploring easy way to employ that port. I searched as mad any cable or adapter but found just multiport expensive things so tried ask if I have not missed something. Nothing happens :).
If your computer has USB-C you can use USB 3 devices, which are faster than either Firewire 400 or 800 and are inexpensive. Explaining the overview of what you're trying to accomplish would be better than just asking about plugging Firewire into USB-C, and people will be better able to help you.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
If your computer has USB-C you can use USB 3 devices, which are faster than either Firewire 400 or 800 and are inexpensive. Explaining the overview of what you're trying to accomplish would be better than just asking about plugging Firewire into USB-C, and people will be better able to help you.
No MacBook ever had both Firewire and USB-C

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016

OP said his computer is a Macbook Pro with FW800, and from that we know he doesn't have any USB-C or USB 3.

He also said he was looking for an adpter to plug a USB-C drive into a FW800 port. Apparently you understood the opposite.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can't connect USB devices to a firewire port.

It seems to me that some time ago, there might have been "firewire-to-USB" adapters, but if there were, they're no longer on the market...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.