Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moocko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2016
The Yamaha-keyboard/synth is connected to the computer (iMac 27", middle of 2011, El Capitan) via USB (from the keyboard it's connected with two big cables, "in" and "out"), but won't work. Garageband says that a MIDI-device is found, but the keyboard can't be played on any tracks.

Does anyone have some insight? It's a fairly old keyboard (it has a floppy disk!) so I'm worried it won't work as a MIDI-keyboard at all - does anyone know if some keyboards can be too old for MIDI-use, although they have MIDI-support? Are there any special settings that have to be made on the keyboard itself?

I've googled this to death and have tried the most obvious things (restarting GB and computer, switching the cables, switching USB-slots, have tried all the different "audio in"-options in GB, have tried to use the sound/midi-settings app, installed some drivers from Yamaha etc), but nothing works. Gah.

If anyone have any general tips or experience with the specific keyboard, Yamaha PSR-540, it is most appreciated! Thanks!

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
What is the midi device you're connecting the keyboard to?

I'm using an Emu Xmidi 2x2 with two keyboards plugged into it and it works fine, same iMac model. Your keyboard shouldn't be too old, I'm using a Korg from the early 90s just as a controller and it works fine. The Emu device shows activity lights when I hit the keys, so it's pretty easy to see when data is going across. Not sure what the exact problem is, maybe the keyboard isn't sending midi data?

moocko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2016
I got it to work, thanks to some help on another forum + trying some new stuff:
http://www.keyboardforums.com/threa...to-imac-for-garageband-use.27144/#post-178593

What is the midi device you're connecting the keyboard to?

I'm using an Emu Xmidi 2x2 with two keyboards plugged into it and it works fine, same iMac model. Your keyboard shouldn't be too old, I'm using a Korg from the early 90s just as a controller and it works fine. The Emu device shows activity lights when I hit the keys, so it's pretty easy to see when data is going across. Not sure what the exact problem is, maybe the keyboard isn't sending midi data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.