Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felipe81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Hello all,
I just got a brand new TP-Link WA855RE wifi extender and my mac simply does not connect. I also have a PC at home (oops) and it's working perfectly, I tried everything with TP-Link support people and now they're just keeping me waiting on emails forever. I tried fixed IPs and it didn't work either. It's as if I had the wrong password for the connection. Anyone got any hints?
cheers

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I suppose you mean that you have a wireless router or wireless router/modem and that this device is connecting to that device wirelessly and, in turn, extending the wireless network further.

With what security mode, exactly, is your wifi network configured?

Is the extender configured with an SSID different from the original router's SSID?

felipe81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
yes, sorry for my amateurism.
there's a primary router/modem sending wireless signal to a first extender, which also sends wireless signal to the one I'm having issues.
security mode is WPA2 Personal (not sure if this is the right English). the first extender has the same SSID as the modem/router, the second doesn't.

Andy_P_1985

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2020
Problem SOLVED! after playing around with so many different troubleshooting tips I found that the only way to fix it is to connect to the darn TP-Link WA855RE wifi extender via ethernet cable, download the latest firmware upgrade for your specific model (V.3 in my case) and go to the router's management page on your browser http://tplinkrepeater.net. Go to System Tools and then Firmware Update. Select the browse button and find the .bin file you download from TP-Link's website and update the thing!

I found mine here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wa855re/v3/?utm_medium=select-local#Firmware

I hope this helps others in the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.