Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Hi all,

I currently own a d40x with the kit 18-55 and a nikon 70-300 VR. I love this camera and the 70-300 lens a lot. I have taken 1000's of pictures with both and it's been great for me.

So I was playing with a d90 today and I fell in love with it. The fps is great, the kit lens is great, the screen is great, the movie making is great. It's just a great machine period IMO. I currently use a p&s sony that I have for taking videos and it works fine. So the main reason for a d90 would be the video and the faster frames since I like to shoot birds and sports.

So my dilemma is I would definately be getting rid of the d40x and my sony P&S either on eBay or craigslist. Should I just sell the body and keep the kit lens (18-55) and get just the d90 body and save myself $300 give or take. Or should I just sell the d40x with the kit lens and all and get the d90 kit. I like that the d90 kit with the 18-105 with VR even though it will overlap my 70-300 a bit. If you have the d90 and the kit lens I like to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
The D90 is a picture camera, not a videocamera.

It is common knowledge that it has worbling problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0i5rmwPPNQ

If you want high quality video, get a real camcorder...

I knew that but now I am using a Sony DSC-N2 as my video camera so the d90 has to be better. I don't need anything crazy I just want the convinience of not having to carry 2 cameras basically.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
From what I read it's one of the best rated DSLR's on the market today. The fact that it takes HD-Video is just a bonus.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I guess if you compare a D90 with normal consumer DVR, the performance will be about the same.

To me the biggest advantage of using a DSLR that has movie mode (D90, Canon 5D MK II, and more in the future) is its ability to swap lenses, imagine you shooting video with a 300mm lens?

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, I guess if you compare a D90 with normal consumer DVR, the performance will be about the same.

To me the biggest advantage of using a DSLR that has movie mode (D90, Canon 5D MK II, and more in the future) is its ability to swap lenses, imagine you shooting video with a 300mm lens?

Yeah I know the lens swapping is great. I definitely am not comparing the D90's video to a high end Sony video recorder. I mean it's a great DSLR first an OK video recorder second.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I knew that but now I am using a Sony DSC-N2 as my video camera so the d90 has to be better. I don't need anything crazy I just want the convinience of not having to carry 2 cameras basically.
Don't assume that the video on the D90 will be able to replace the video on your P/S digital cam. They take video in different ways. You may not find the same applications for your D90 video (particularly if your subject is moving) as you do the P/S.

Dave

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
correct me if Im wrong but how come I dont see worbling in my PnS video capture and its present on a DSLR? Why is this? Or its just me failing to see the worbling effect present on my PnS?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
correct me if Im wrong but how come I dont see worbling in my PnS video capture and its present on a DSLR? Why is this? Or its just me failing to see the worbling effect present on my PnS?

The simplest answer would be because it is not present in the PnS and is present in the D90.

I never have the problem of needing to carry around a still and a video camera. If I want to shoot video I know and have planned for it. Video is SO much work to shoot that if I have my video camera and intend to use it then I know I will not have time to do stills. With video you are running around all over getting various shots, long shots to establish the scene the close ups and people's reactions. If you are shooting video with the intent to edit it down to a story you just need a ton of shots.

What you might do with an D90 is take what I call "moving stills". these are just short clips of subjects with no story and no attempt at continuity. Like a slide show where the pictures move. The N90 might be good at that.

The other problem is sound. The D90 lacks a mic input so if you were doing anything other then those "moving stils" you need a portable audio recorder and a mic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.