Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robertjan88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
I am considering moving from my current Samsung S7 Edge to the new iPhone 11 Pro.

Even though I love the design of the latter, one things is rather worrisome.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/21/iphone-11-pro-max-vs-galaxy-note-10-drop-test/

According to the above video, posted on 9to5mac, the back of the iPhone 11 Pro could easily shatter, when dropped from "just" 3 feet.

This makes me wonder, why Apple makes use of a glass back?

In the past, I owned an iPhone 6 Plus, which didn't have a glass back. The back of this phone was durable, and didn't shatter/break in nearly 2 years, even though it fell on the floor at least once a month (no.... I am not clumsy, these things just happen with normal use).

Same for my current Samsung S7 Edge. It's 3 years old.

Of course, glass might look fancy, however, why not go for stronger materials, like titanium or carbon? At this price point, both materials should be possible.

Robertjan88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Really? I wonder why, cause other brands don't need a glass back for this purpose.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
At the end of the day, it’s glass. Glass + gravity rarely ends well.

Plenty of manufacturers use glass backs, and if not, then they use plastic; assuming wireless charging.

Use a case if you’re worried about it.

Robertjan88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Multiple drops up to head height with no problems, here:

Hmmm, so it seems to be random luck or bad luck. Better already, but not ideal. I rather would have seen no damage in any test or an other material. :(

Robertjan88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Hmmm, so it seems to be random luck or bad luck. Better already, but not ideal. I rather would have seen no damage in any test or an other material. :(
Unfortunately, we live in the real world. Nothing is impervious to damage. Been using a X every day for the last two years with an Apple Leather case and it is spot on. I had no reservations about getting the 11 Pro Max.

Reactions: Robertjan88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.