Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Within a month or two I was planning on dropping $450 or so on the new AF-S 50mm or Sigma HSM equivalent. However, I've been thinking (which my wife has learned to fear); the 50mm 1.4 AF-D is a great lens at just a little over half the cost of the AF-S one, and this is not a trend I want to continue...being forced into buying pricier lenses because of the lack of in-body focus on the D40. I just need to talk this out...

And it's not just the lack of focus motor. I've had my D40 for a year, and while I love it for what it's taught me about photography, I've learned some of the limitations really annoy me. Only 3 autofocus points; no exposure bracketing; no top LCD, which I've never had but I find myself wishing I did; too much button pushing because there's only one control dial. The D90 addresses all of those points, along with the focus motor, plus it's even better in low light (right?) than the D40. Plus the better LCD, dust removal, better viewfinder, etc.

I've done the math, and I could keep my existing lenses (the cheap but decent 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR), sell the D40, get a D90 and a 50mm 1.4 AF-D for about $790 or so (although I might drop that 50mm down to the f/1.8 in the short term to save a couple hundred bucks).

Or, I could sell the D40 with both my existing lenses, get the D90 18-105mm kit plus the 1.8 50mm also for a little under $800.

I do sometimes use that 200mm so I'm leaning toward scenario A unless someone has something awesome to say about the D90's kit lens.

Main question:
Let's say I sell my D40 body and get the D90 with the 50mm 1.8. Does this $590 expense sound like a worthwhile alternative to spending $450 on a 1.4 AF-S lens and keeping my D40?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Within a month or two I was planning on dropping $450 or so on the new AF-S 50mm or Sigma HSM equivalent. However, I've been thinking (which my wife has learned to fear); the 50mm 1.4 AF-D is a great lens at just a little over half the cost of the AF-S one, and this is not a trend I want to continue...being forced into buying pricier lenses because of the lack of in-body focus on the D40. I just need to talk this out...

And it's not just the lack of focus motor. I've had my D40 for a year, and while I love it for what it's taught me about photography, I've learned some of the limitations really annoy me. Only 3 autofocus points; no exposure bracketing; no top LCD, which I've never had but I find myself wishing I did; too much button pushing because there's only one control dial. The D90 addresses all of those points, along with the focus motor, plus it's even better in low light (right?) than the D40. Plus the better LCD, dust removal, better viewfinder, etc.

I've done the math, and I could keep my existing lenses (the cheap but decent 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR), sell the D40, get a D90 and a 50mm 1.4 AF-D for about $790 or so (although I might drop that 50mm down to the f/1.8 in the short term to save a couple hundred bucks).

Or, I could sell the D40 with both my existing lenses, get the D90 18-105mm kit plus the 1.8 50mm also for a little under $800.

I do sometimes use that 200mm so I'm leaning toward scenario A unless someone has something awesome to say about the D90's kit lens.

Main question:
Let's say I sell my D40 body and get the D90 with the 50mm 1.8. Does this $590 expense sound like a worthwhile alternative to spending $450 on a 1.4 AF-S lens and keeping my D40?

Get the D90. Lots of additional features, much better sensor and you can do HD movies with it. It's a real step up and worth the extra money.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I would say yes because not only do you get the features you have been wanting, you are gaining the ability to use the wide breadth of non AF-S lenses out there.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I would say yes because not only do you get the features you have been wanting, you are gaining the ability to use the wide breadth of non AF-S lenses out there.

That's pretty much how I'm feeling.

Digging through the extensive DPReview of the D90, I'm finding other things I'd love to have...active D-Lighting, automatic Chromatic Aberration Correction ("Quite simply, every lens you own or plan to buy, instantly becomes better."), and of course as I mentioned all the hard buttons for things I have to dig through the D40's menus to get to (release mode, white balance, ISO, etc). And even though the lens I'd buy along with the D90 is the 1.8 instead of the 1.4 I'd get for the D40, the 50mm 1.8D looks to be extremely highly rated and is said to be very sharp even at wide apertures. Ken Rockwell (although I know he likes to bloviate) says it's one of the sharpest lenses Nikon has ever made.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I'm considering purchasing a Nikon D90 with a 50 mm f/1.8 lens. What I'd like to know is where you are finding this for under $800. Are you buying used?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm considering purchasing a Nikon D90 with a 50 mm f/1.8 lens. What I'd like to know is where you are finding this for under $800. Are you buying used?

I'm figuring in the sale of my D40 body with some extras when I talk about the total cost. The best place to buy the D90 body right now is on Amazon for $839 shipped. I'd also pick up the 50mm 1.8 from them which is $110 shipped; I get triple points on my Amazon Visa when I order from Amazon anyway, and those are already the best prices I've found (from a reputable dealer).

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'd be hesitant to ever buy a lens through Amazon, because I've read too many reviews where customers said that they didn't package the lens properly, and it was damaged in some way. That probably wouldn't be an issue with something as small as the 50mm 1.8, but when it comes to larger stuff, I'd basically rather pay more than get a DOA lens for less.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I hadn't heard that, thanks for the warning. I live so close to an Amazon warehouse that everything shows up by the next day, so hopefully if there is a problem I could get it resolved quickly.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm figuring in the sale of my D40 body with some extras when I talk about the total cost. The best place to buy the D90 body right now is on Amazon for $839 shipped. I'd also pick up the 50mm 1.8 from them which is $110 shipped; I get triple points on my Amazon Visa when I order from Amazon anyway, and those are already the best prices I've found (from a reputable dealer).

You're basically doing what I want to do in a year or two, but judging by the math in your first post I think you might be over estimating the resale of your D40. What do you think you are going to get for it?

But, if you don't NEED the f1.4, the extra $300 you save getting the f1.8 bridges a lot of the gap between the D40 and the D90, and as mentioned that's a pretty huge upgrade in camera. Personally, I'd do the same exact thing for the D90 but NOT for a D80... :)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
D90 for $840 + $110 for 50mm 1.8 = $950, minus $350 or so for D40 body + spare battery + SD card + bag = ~$600 total outlay. As long as I get more than $300 for my D40 + extras I'm OK with the deal.

Since I was going to spend over $400 on just a lens for the D40 (and no, I don't think I really *need* the f/1.4), another $150-$200 to get a new lens AND a new, much more capable body is money well spent I think.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
You **may** be overshooting your price estimate. I was just looking around on ebay's completed listings for D40 body and alot of them come with memory cards etc and they seem to be averaging mid $200's and the ones that were $300+ didn't even get any bids. Although you are throwing in a spare battery those don't cost much new so its not a big deal.

I'm in the same predicatment becuase I want to dump my D60 in favor of a D90 but I just paid $589 for the kit back in october so I can't really sell it for $300. Its worth it more to me to keep it and use it as a spare camera etc then to take that large of a loss on it.

Zack

mdo574

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
Camera

Main question:
awsome choice , im in the very same spot your in, d40 for about 1 1/2 yrs like the fact that d90 shoots video , you made some very interesting points in your blog, well im right beside ya im selling my d40 with kit lense and my 70-300 for 500.00

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
You **may** be overshooting your price estimate. I was just looking around on ebay's completed listings for D40 body and alot of them come with memory cards etc and they seem to be averaging mid $200's and the ones that were $300+ didn't even get any bids. Although you are throwing in a spare battery those don't cost much new so its not a big deal.

I'm in the same predicatment becuase I want to dump my D60 in favor of a D90 but I just paid $589 for the kit back in october so I can't really sell it for $300. Its worth it more to me to keep it and use it as a spare camera etc then to take that large of a loss on it.

Zack

That's what I was thinking. Ebay is going to sell a little lower than you might person to person locally because you can inspect the body and know exactly what condition it's in before paying, eBay is a little more of a crap shoot.

Stores, like B&H, are paying $135 for a perfect condition D40 right now, so expecting double that from a private buyer is probably pretty reasonable. Batteries, new not used, are ~$10 shipped (3rd party); memory cards are so cheap they might as well be free - I bought a 4gb SD card for $7 shipped two+ months ago and prices are dropping constantly. Cases can be worth something depending on the brand, etc.

If you have a local buyer who trusts you, you can probably get $300 for a D40 body in perfect condition with a low shutter count and some accessories, but just "random" highest bidder online sales are going to be less than that I think. I say this as someone who just bought a D40 and now are bummed because I got it right before prices really started to go down. But, that's always the case with electronics, I guess.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

Zack

Bleh, you're right. I was just poking around myself. I did see a *few* D40 bodies go for over $300 with a few extras, so I have some hope. I have 100% feedback and am pretty good at making nice-looking auctions, so I think I can get at least close to $300 if not a little over. I might rummage through my closet to see what else I can sell too :D I really want my D90 now!

EDIT: Good point about local inspection, Mr. Green. I'll list it on Craigslist and our other local free classified sites too.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Bleh, you're right. I was just poking around myself. I did see a *few* D40 bodies go for over $300 with a few extras, so I have some hope. I have 100% feedback and am pretty good at making nice-looking auctions, so I think I can get at least close to $300 if not a little over. I might rummage through my closet to see what else I can sell too :D I really want my D90 now!

EDIT: Good point about local inspection, Mr. Green. I'll list it on Craigslist and our other local free classified sites too.

Here's just something to think about - the D40 prices should drop a TON more in the next 6 months (there's probably a price floor for a dSLR body in good condition), but D90 prices should come down in that time frame considerably.

If you can wait until maybe summertime you might be able to get a better deal overall - eg, if you D40 is worth ~$300 now and a D90 body is $830 now, your D40 might drop to $275 but the D90 will probably go down to $750 or something like that. Point being: the D90 is new tech so it's price should drop much faster than the pricing of old tech like the D40 that's already seen most of it's price cuts.

On the other hand the D90 could stay at the current pricing if it's selling well there and the D40 could be discontinued and replaced by a $300 new body with more features causing the floor to drop out on the D40 prices. Who knows?! :p

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
D90 has been a success from what I understand and I would be surprised at any price drop in the foreseeable future...

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah I don't think I'm going to wait for the D90 price to drop any further. I could wait forever playing that game :D I'll take what I can get for my D40 and spend the extra cash now. There's all sorts of lenses I'd like to get down the road that won't work on the D40 so it'll be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.