Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

oakrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Long ago I digitized all my CDs and put them into iTunes. I’ve migrated through several iMacs since then, and subscribe to both Apple Music and iTunes Match (or whatever it’s called these days).

The problem: I find several different folders in my local (iMac internal SSD) Music folder, including two “iTunes Media” folders, an “iTunes Music” folder, and a Music>Media>Apple Music folder. When I run a utility such as Gemini2, it finds multiple duplicate files.

The question: how do I know which files Apple Music and Match are using, and which I can delete? I don't want to lose any items.

Should I consolidate all the m4p and AIFF files into one folder? In Apple Music preferences I’ve already got the “Keep Music Media Folder Organized” box checked in the Files preference. But it doesn’t seem to consolidate everything.

Your help appreciated! screenshot of the ridiculously messy file structure below

Attachments

• Music Folder Screenshot.jpg
    Music Folder Screenshot.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.