Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

constantwifidrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
I have a Wireless diagnostics Wifi Crash Log from when the wifi was dropped using both safe mode and regular boot. How can I interpret this crash log, what should I be looking for?
I have troubleshooted every imaginable thing for the constant wifi drop on 10.11.5 on this 13 macbook pro. I reinstalled os and even purchased a Airport Extreme. I would greatly appreciate any help in figuring out this cause! The crashlog has many different files. What should I be looking at?

upload_2016-6-8_11-35-28.png

Last edited:

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
I am not sure the logs will tell you a lot. Can you tell us more about your network? What security are you using? Open, WEP or WPA? Are you on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz channels? What channel are you using? Do have competing devices like cordless phones or other wireless access points nearby? How close are you to the router and what is in between? What is you signal strength?

Pull down the wifi menu while holding down the option key to get some of that information and post a screen shot back here.

You could also download and run NetSpot http://www.netspotapp.com which will list all the wifi access points in range along with their signal strength and channel. You can use this to pick the channel in your area with the least interference.

constantwifidrop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
I am not sure the logs will tell you a lot. Can you tell us more about your network? What security are you using? Open, WEP or WPA? Are you on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz channels? What channel are you using? Do have competing devices like cordless phones or other wireless access points nearby? How close are you to the router and what is in between? What is you signal strength?

Pull down the wifi menu while holding down the option key to get some of that information and post a screen shot back here.

You could also download and run NetSpot http://www.netspotapp.com which will list all the wifi access points in range along with their signal strength and channel. You can use this to pick the channel in your area with the least interference.
So essentially all troubleshooting has pointed to the fact that this is not a network issue, but rather a software issue. The network is 5GHz and not crowded at all (it is almost impossible to even crowd a 5GHz network). The signal strength is excellent and noise is low. The connect still randomly gets dropped all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.