Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Found a very well-done article about the problem still unsolved by apple since several years, Seems that this was beginning with OSX 10.8 (!) and was never really resolved (debugged) by apple ever since - perhaps someone knows more about this bizarre problem I (and shurely lots of other People) have to face...

Perhaps a lot of people even don´t know about it.. and are wondering about their mac slowing down or fans going wild or batery time going down although not in excessive use...

I found the problem just by chance because I wanted to protect the GPU of my 2011 and 2012 MBP´s by cooling more aggressively using MacFanControl.

Although not using much of my CPU and GPU I was astonished about the fact that I faced after doing so often the fans going high rpm... and I found out that powerd was using up to 60-70% of the CPU (and so heating up the CPU) for just nearly NOTHING happening on the MBP...

Found out that restarting the mac helped instantly, but this procedure ist *not_too_elegant*
Plus: after restart powerd uses not more than 0,1% of the CPU but accumulates more and more CPU consumption and logically lots of energy from the battery for just nothing... :(

Activity monitor was nearly always running before and now I will use it only if nessecary so...
BUT: The article says that this will NOT completely stop the problem.. but change a big problem into a less important problem...

http://www.planetarygear.org/2016/07/osxs-powerd-daemon-has-some-bugs.html

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Found a very well-done article about the problem still unsolved by apple since several years, Seems that this was beginning with OSX 10.8 (!) and was never really resolved (debugged) by apple ever since - perhaps someone knows more about this bizarre problem I (and shurely lots of other People) have to face...
This isn't a problem I see on any Macs I use or manage on a regular basis. The Mac Mini I'm using right now, last restarted 8 days ago, shows powerd as using 0.0-0.1% of CPU.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
well... nice for you....

but if you do a little search using "powerd" and "cpu" you will find lots of descriptions of this problem.... including apple´s own forum and apple-related Forums... as a first step resolving the problem they recommend a SMC-reset... (I did it, but this did not change anything for me).

Nice to hear that there are people NOT having this problem... but this information will NOT resolve my
(and other people´s) PROBLEM with this..in fact there are people like me who nevertheless are definitely confronted with this problem. like the author of the linked article... and I am shure that a lot of people have the same problem, but just don´t know about it - like me until recently... ;)

BTW: perhaps you haven´t opened constantly activity monitor?
Would be interesting, if yes or no...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have had activity monitor running continuously for several years and OS versions, I dont see this. Seriously, there is probably an article sonewhere on the internet blaming every daemon at some time or other for being a doomsday.

Reset or reinstall if it bothers you, there are plenty of users who dont ever see this problem so Im not surprised Appke arent jumping up and down to fix it...

Reactions: jbarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.