Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
All,

I own a iPhoneX, a 9.7 Ipad Pro, Ipad Mini 3 and a 2016 MBP. My contacts on the Iphone (used the most) and the Ipad Pro are properly synced with about 88 contacts. The Mini and MBP have about 35 contacts. All devices are on the same Apple account.

Any ideas why I can't sync between all 4 devices? Oddly when I create a fake test contact, that will sync properly for all devices but pre-existing contacts only appear to sync between my phone and IPP. Any ideas for an investigation?

TIA

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Several things you can try: Sign out of iCloud and then back in. If that doesn't work, check your contacts in iCloud to make sure they are all listed. I have that same thing happen to me trying to sync contacts between 2 iPhones, an iPad Pro and an iMac. One time when it occured I had to actually copy and paste the missing contacts to iCloud before they would start syncing again.

Reactions: alphaswift

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yes...it sounds like some of the contacts are in an On Your Device group and not in a syncing account. There could be different contacts in the wrong place for each device.

As chscag says, your master list should be in iCloud. Contacts syncing (iCloud account) should be ON for all devices. Default contacts account needs to be set to iCloud on all devices.

You need to get the contacts that are, in each cast, On Your Device into the iCloud account.

If you're unsure how to do that just ask.

Reactions: alphaswift and jpn

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks to you two guys, I have it working. The main problem is that when I switched over from Android (pre-Iphone) I linked my Gmail contacts but didn't import them. Once I configured icloud as my master contact list and broke the link to Gmail it works as expected.

Thanks again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.