Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hquant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
I own a Mac Mini M2 and and an iPhone XR. So I was extited about the Contiunity Camera feature.
Yesterday evening I started up Facetime and I was presended with a nice clear iPhone camera video right away. Great, but I never use Facetime. So I started Skype and the iPhone did not show up. No camera recognized. I went back to Facetime and there too no camera was recognized. Everything is set up as it is supposed to be. Same wireless network on Mac / iPhone, Bluetooth on, Handoff-Settings correct. Latest OS on both devices (Ventura / 16). Well it worked once, so the settings must have been correct. I tried everything to no avail. Any suggestions?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Did you happen to tap 'Disconnect' on the iPhone? If so, you'll need to plug the phone into the Mac for it to get added again.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I own a Mac Mini M2 and and an iPhone XR. So I was extited about the Contiunity Camera feature.
Yesterday evening I started up Facetime and I was presended with a nice clear iPhone camera video right away. Great, but I never use Facetime. So I started Skype and the iPhone did not show up. No camera recognized. I went back to Facetime and there too no camera was recognized. Everything is set up as it is supposed to be. Same wireless network on Mac / iPhone, Bluetooth on, Handoff-Settings correct. Latest OS on both devices (Ventura / 16). Well it worked once, so the settings must have been correct. I tried everything to no avail. Any suggestions?
On the Mini, you'll need to connect the phone over USB, or you can connect an external webcam and then the phone will work in Continuity Camera wirelessly. I assume this is a bug with the feature at this point as the behavior is not documented anywhere.

hquant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
On the Mini, you'll need to connect the phone over USB, or you can connect an external webcam and then the phone will work in Continuity Camera wirelessly. I assume this is a bug with the feature at this point as the behavior is not documented anywhere.
I connected a Logitech webcam and the XR via USB. This resulted in a live image from the XR cam on facetime. When I cut the USB connection, I get a message, that I have to lock the phone in order to continue with a wireless connection. But that results in a black image. After restarting facetime the camera is not recognized any more. This feature seems to be still buggy. I do not really need it, but it still drives me insane that I can't get it running.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I connected a Logitech webcam and the XR via USB. This resulted in a live image from the XR cam on facetime. When I cut the USB connection, I get a message, that I have to lock the phone in order to continue with a wireless connection. But that results in a black image. After restarting facetime the camera is not recognized any more. This feature seems to be still buggy. I do not really need it, but it still drives me insane that I can't get it running.
Just leave the Logitech connected over USB and then start with a wireless connection to your phone. This has worked without an issue for me. If there’s a separate USB connection to any camera, Continuity Camera should be fine over wireless.

hquant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
Just leave the Logitech connected over USB and then start with a wireless connection to your phone. This has worked without an issue for me. If there’s a separate USB connection to any camera, Continuity Camera should be fine over wireless.
I would love to try that, but my Mac Mini M1 fails to recognise the Logitech Creative Live Cam HD. So I will not be able to test your fix until I get a new webcam that plays nicely with my mac. Meanwhile I will test this feature with my 2019 Mabook Air which is currently updating to Ventura. We'll see.

hquant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
I would love to try that, but my Mac Mini M1 fails to recognise the Logitech Creative Live Cam HD. So I will not be able to test your fix until I get a new webcam that plays nicely with my mac. Meanwhile I will test this feature with my 2019 Mabook Air which is currently updating to Ventura. We'll see.
With my Macbook Air everything works perfectly. No issues. Mac Mini: "No Camera Available."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.