Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

css1323

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hello, all. Just a curious question really.

If you swipe up to get to Control Center, and then swipe right, there's a second page I believe for more controls like music.

When no music is playing, it still shows an app icon albeit greyed out. Is this just showing the last app used then? Any way to clear that out? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4560.PNG
    IMG_4560.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 199

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom, London

If you swipe up to get to Control Center, and then swipe right, there's a second page I believe for more controls like music.

When no music is playing, it still shows an app icon albeit greyed out. Is this just showing the last app used then? Any way to clear that out? Thanks.

Quit the app that last used audio, from the multitasking screen - in your case Spotify.

css1323

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Quit the app that last used audio, from the multitasking screen - in your case Spotify.

Right. Even after quitting the app normally (double clicking home button and swiping up to close), and clearing RAM (holding down sleep/wake button and then home button), it still shows the last app used.

Reactions: cswifx

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom, London
Right. Even after quitting the app normally (double clicking home button and swiping up to close), and clearing RAM (holding down sleep/wake button and then home button), it still shows the last app used.

Yes you're right. It used to work before, but they've changed it and I never noticed!
I suppose it will just continue to switch to the last app that played audio. Theres nothing I can see that will fix or change that unfortunately (unless someone else knows).

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I believe that after a set amount of time it'll default back to the Music app, or at least it used to. How long exactly I don't know. Aside rom that, yes, it's the last app you listened to. – Although it might actually be influenced by Siri App Suggestions too, if you haven't listened to anything recently?

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I believe that after a set amount of time it'll default back to the Music app, or at least it used to.

It doesn't and I doubt it ever did. It's useful in cases you stop playback in an app for a longer period of time (say, pause a podcast for an hour). You then know what app will resume playback after you press play. In our case, the podcast app will silently relaunch and continue playing.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It doesn't and I doubt it ever did. It's useful in cases you stop playback in an app for a longer period of time (say, pause a podcast for an hour). You then know what app will resume playback after you press play. In our case, the podcast app will silently relaunch and continue playing.

It definitely did at some point in the past, though perhaps only in a beta? Regardless, I agree it's useful, and for me it's almost always Podcasts too, hehe

Reactions: stooovie

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I believe that after a set amount of time it'll default back to the Music app, or at least it used to. How long exactly I don't know. Aside rom that, yes, it's the last app you listened to. – Although it might actually be influenced by Siri App Suggestions too, if you haven't listened to anything recently?

Strange. I just used YouTube and had it show up as the app in Control Center. I then existed and closed YouTube and instead of it just plain Music appeared in Control Center (just as it was there before I used YouTube).

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Huh, okay, maybe there is some Proactive stuff going on. I don't use Music so it doesn't appear for me.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Strange. I just used YouTube and had it show up as the app in Control Center. I then existed and closed YouTube and instead of it just plain Music appeared in Control Center (just as it was there before I used YouTube).

The YouTube app should specifically destroy all its playback instances due to Google's policy of not letting YouTube videos play in the background. This way, it makes sense that the playback controls are gone.

Reactions: css1323

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Huh, okay, maybe there is some Proactive stuff going on. I don't use Music so it doesn't appear for me.
Yeah I don't use Music either actually, nor do I even have any proactive options enabled.
[doublepost=1490578406][/doublepost]
The YouTube app should specifically destroy all its playback instances due to Google's policy of not letting YouTube videos play in the background. This way, it makes sense that the playback controls are gone.
Alright, looks like the YouTube app might not have been a good one to use for this experiment. Just tired it with another music app and that did stay after I exited and closed it.

I guess the trick there might be to open up the music app and start playing something (even just something on radio) and then exit and close it, that way things will just reflect Music as the app in Control Center (which seems like the default app in a sense).

Reactions: css1323

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
it would be nice though to have a setting to either show recently played music/podcast via an (third party) app or to deselect it so it will not show.

css1323

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Yeah I don't use Music either actually, nor do I even have any proactive options enabled.
[doublepost=1490578406][/doublepost]
Alright, looks like the YouTube app might not have been a good one to use for this experiment. Just tired it with another music app and that did stay after I exited and closed it.

I guess the trick there might be to open up the music app and start playing something (even just something on radio) and then exit and close it, that way things will just reflect Music as the app in Control Center (which seems like the default app in a sense).

I appreciate you all experimenting for kicks. I tried using the Spotify app yesterday. Closed it out, rebooted phone and it was still there after several hours greyed out.

I left my iOS music app paused in background for a while and it remained in the Control Center on my last paused track as I'd suspect. This morning I closed it out so it reverted back to showing the Music app icon greyed out waiting to be tapped again. It's no huge deal of course, just one of many curious iOS workings.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada

No. There is no way to clear it out. Anyways, it's supposed to work like that. Like other people have mentioned, it's like that so even if you exit Spotify (or some other playback app) you can resume playback at anytime and the app will relaunch silently in the background.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No. There is no way to clear it out. Anyways, it's supposed to work like that. Like other people have mentioned, it's like that so even if you exit Spotify (or some other playback app) you can resume playback at anytime and the app will relaunch silently in the background.
Seems like a new behavior to it in iOS 10.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I wish they would put the media controls back on the main page and moved AirDrop, Night Shift, and AirPlay to the second panel. No idea why NS needed a massive button, they could have simply made it a simple on/off like wifi and used that space to keep the media controls on the main panel. Oh well...

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Yup agree with you there mikosk and it's definitely getting time now for it to customise the control center with (third party) apps and settings now that they are asking third party widgets (like Launcher from Cromulent Labs) to remove their quick launches to settings.

Reactions: mikosk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.