Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
On my iPad there is the option to convert to esim which I m thinking of doing. But in anticipation of a new ipad replacing my current one in the next few months I was wondering if the cell service would be transferred to the new one as it is with the phones and even Apple Watches. I’m considering doing this just to eliminate the physical sim, I’ve been swapping the same one into new iPads for several years now. Has anyone done this and does this occur with the activation of the new one and data transfer from the old? On my new Apple Watch the option appeared to either set up a new plan or transfer the existing one from the old watch. Is this how it would occur with iPads?

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Now watching this thread. I am in same position as OP. Been AT&T since Day 1 and have been swapping my SIM with each new purchase. I was forced into eSIM when I went to my iPhone 14 Pro Max and it was without a hitch. New iPad enroute but thinking of staying on physical SIM until I am forced off.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Now watching this thread. I am in same position as OP. Been AT&T since Day 1 and have been swapping my SIM with each new purchase. I was forced into eSIM when I went to my iPhone 14 Pro Max and it was without a hitch. New iPad enroute but thinking of staying on physical SIM until I am forced off.
I’ve also posted this question on AT&T’s forums but haven’t gotten a response yet. I’ve been doing the same thing, just pulling the sim out of the old and putting into the new for years now, between my and my wife’s iPads. Apple’s instructions actually say to do it this way and there’s not been any issues. But I could see one day where a new sim might be necessary, along with a new activation fee, which happened once a few years ago, so I’m trying to avoid that.

I also upgraded to a 14 Pro Max from a 13PM. I was trading that phone so I went to remove the sim before sending it out and discovered that it never had a sim either, I never knew. I assume the process would work the same with the iPads but I want to hear from someone who has actually done this.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
I have yet to be charged by AT&T for swapping my SIMs. None of my family’s i-devices are under contract and I always buy unlocked phones. Each time I have upgraded my iPad, I was never charged a fee. When I went from SIM to eSIM with my 14 PM also no fee. I hope AT&T keeps treating me that way.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It works the same as the phones yes. When you select the convert to eSIM option, it will do just that and when you setup your new device it will ask if you want to activate cellular with your previous plan. I have been using eSIM on my devices for about 5 years at this point.

Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
It works the same as the phones yes. When you select the convert to eSIM option, it will do just that and when you setup your new device it will ask if you want to activate cellular with your previous plan. I have been using eSIM on my devices for about 5 years at this point.
Ah, thank you! I just wanted to avoid having to replace a SIM card as we did once for one of my wife’s devices. I remember we went into the store to get a new card, had to call support from the store to have it activated in the device and then were charged for a new activation. Normally we just popped the sim out of the old and into the new with no issue and no charge but something was amiss with the old one that time resulting in the trip and the charge.

Anyway thank you, I wanted to make certain there wouldn’t be some unanticipated issue transferring the plan from old to new.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
New iPad enroute but thinking of staying on physical SIM until I am forced off.
I received a reply on the AT&T forum stating just what @gsmornot posted. They mentioned that as long as you’ve converted to an esim on the device that will be replaced the cell plan will transfer to the new ipad. I did get a new iPad Pro and it does not come with a sim so you can either swap your current sim into it or use the esim but do the conversion on the old one before activating the new one.

Reactions: MTShipp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.