Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimac1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
Hello,

I have .ts video files which I have converted to MP4 using the free 'smart converter' app from the Mac App Store.

The .ts files play perfectly fine on VLC player but I want to share the videos and they need to be in a standard format which works by default on iOS.

Unfortunately the audio is out of sync after converting. How can I prevent this occurring? Is their another app or method which works well for this file format?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

P.S. The .ts file does have a minor stutter intermittently when playing but does not go out of sync. I wonder if this has a part to play in the audio going out of sync when converting to a different format.

I have tried multiple other apps as well as mov & mp4

Last edited:

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I use this app http://www.macdvdripperpro.com for archiving and converting DVDs (video ts. folders). It's not free, but does have a 5 instance free trial to see if it suits your needs. It should be able to convert your ts. folder/file to mp4 in sync, provided the condition of that file is good.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There is probably a defect in the video source that one app handles better than another. A defect often causes audio and video to be out of sync on conversion. The best product I found for dealing with defective video of that type is Bigasoft ProRes Converter. Not free but do have a trial period. Bigasoft will also let you go in and tinker with async and other values that will often create usable video out of a mess.

Otherwise, just try all the free converters, you may get lucky. I've been there done that, but I deal with messy video all the time and ProPes Converter (with some minor parameter tweaks) seems to be the best at keeping audio and video in sync.

When that fails, its time to split and time shift, a not very rewarding exercise.

minimac1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I suspect you are right regarding a defect in the original video causing the converted file to go out of sync.

I have resorted to using VLC for iOS to play the .ts files instead of converting.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.