Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Here's the thing. I'm a cameraman by trade and take a load of photos as relaxation (although most seem to be of the kids at the moment).

I usually shoot in JPEG on a Nikon D50 but sometimes switch to RAW if I think I'm going make some changes in post or make HQ prints. When I take a set of saw pics in RAW, I usually find there's only 1 or 2 I want to to keep in RAW.

What I really want in some utility that replaces the other RAW pics in the set with JPEGS.

At the moment I use iPhoto8.

Many thanks

Michael

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
RAW is your archive copy, since you can go back and change it however you like whenever you like without degrading the original. It's like the negative.

However, if you are sure you're never going to go back and tweak that shot, and you want to save space, the easiest way is to just export as a full-sized JPEG and then re-import it into iPhoto and delete the RAW.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Here's the thing. I'm a cameraman by trade and take a load of photos as relaxation (although most seem to be of the kids at the moment).

I usually shoot in JPEG on a Nikon D50 but sometimes switch to RAW if I think I'm going make some changes in post or make HQ prints. When I take a set of saw pics in RAW, I usually find there's only 1 or 2 I want to to keep in RAW.

What I really want in some utility that replaces the other RAW pics in the set with JPEGS.

At the moment I use iPhoto8.

Many thanks

Michael

Batch convert everything to JPEG, delete the raw files you don't want and optionally, the couple of JPEGs you dont' want. Though storage is cheap enough these days that on a D50, I'd probably just keep all the NEFs, they're not that big.

Paul

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
As has been said, I would archive the RAW files. But then again I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to my photos and I keep everything under the sun. But as for an edited archive I would use a 16-bit TIFF file.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Thanks everyone,

Basically the ones I want to convert come under the category of "snaps" that I know I won't need to edit but don't want to delete.

The big problem is one of metadata, I want to keep the photos in order.

I'll try it with one picture and see what happens.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Is it an issue of space? Because, as Compuwar said, the D50's NEF files aren't that big. It's only a 6.1 megapixel camera. And if you only have a few of these images that you want to "archive," then that's even less space to worry about.

If you want to keep these photos but don't want them in your iPhoto browser, just use the hide feature and hide those photos.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I'm not familiar with iPhoto8 but with LR if you export the RAWs to JPEGs you can set the option to preserve the EXIF data, thus it should all carry over.

I'm going with the crowd here though in saying that there is little point in doing this unless you're really, really starved for storage space. Storage has become very economical these days, and it will only get cheaper with time. This archiving mentality probably originated back in the early days when storage was expensive, and it was not easy to get enough storage to simply keep everything. Now that storage is plentiful and relatively cheap, the arguments for doing "archive copies" have been largely invalidated.

Ruahrc

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
If you have Photoshop, you can go to File: Scripts: Image Processor and export entire folders and subfolders of RAW files into JPGS. Or you can do it through Bridge, under Tools: Photoshop: Image Processor. Same tool. It will save them with the same filename, except in .jpg rather than .nef. Also the metadata will carry over.

Now, would you want to? I'd lean towards no... might as well keep them in their RAW format. JPG is more of a presentation format, but not the best archiving method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.