Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
How works the cooling system (fans) in a MacBook Pro 14" in clamshell mode? When the screen is open the hot air comes out from the bottom of the screen. So, i was wondering how it works and if it affects the cooling when the fans are in use in clamshell mode?

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
If you look behind your MacBook Pro you'll notice there's vents on the back. That's how it works, both vents are used.

I work with my 14" 90% of the times in clamshell mode and never have I crossed the 65c even in hot summer days with 38º.
Cool! And how you manage the battery being at 100% all the time? Someone told me that 100% batteries all the time is bad.

Reactions: Cape Dave

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
How works the cooling system (fans) in a MacBook Pro 14" in clamshell mode? When the screen is open the hot air comes out from the bottom of the screen. So, i was wondering how it works and if it affects the cooling when the fans are in use in clamshell mode?
Just a thought have you considered the Mac Studio or perhaps when the updated Mac mini comes out? You’ll get more ports so no need for a dock. In theory it should also have better cooling capability but that’s probably not critical

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Cool! And how you manage the battery being at 100% all the time? Someone told me that 100% batteries all the time is bad.
As @MrGunny94 says, turn on Apple Optimised Battery Charging....if it works for you...it never has for me for my mostly plugged in M1 MBAs. Because of this, I and many here, use AlDente Pro which has much more control.

PS I have seen people say it takes quite a while, maybe weeks for Apple OBC to recognise a mostly plugged in MacBook and kick in.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
As @MrGunny94 says, turn on Apple Optimised Battery Charging....if it works for you...it never has for me for my mostly plugged in M1 MBAs. Because of this, I and many here, use AlDente Pro which has much more control.

PS I have seen people say it takes quite a while, maybe weeks for Apple OBC to recognise a mostly plugged in MacBook and kick in.
Yep, for my lifestyle it probably doesn't work properly because I work in the terrace during the morning and on the afternoon connect to my office dock at home...

Sometimes I just don't connect at all or spend 3-4 days straight using it in a dock.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

I’ve had my M2 MacBook Air for a few weeks now and optimized battery charging works exactly as advertised. With my M1 I was mostly plugged for over a year. With my M2 I’ve been working on site for the entire time I’ve owned it.

With the M2 it holds at 80% until early morning and then finishes charging. With the M1, it was almost always held at 80% and reported it was mostly used on the charger.

It’s interesting that it still doesn’t work for some.

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, every couple weeks when I dust my desk, there‘s a line of dust behind my laptop right where those vents are.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
I’ve had my M2 MacBook Air for a few weeks now and optimized battery charging works exactly as advertised. With my M1 I was mostly plugged for over a year. With my M2 I’ve been working on site for the entire time I’ve owned it.

With the M2 it holds at 80% until early morning and then finishes charging. With the M1, it was almost always held at 80% and reported it was mostly used on the charger.

It’s interesting that it still doesn’t work for some.
It doesn’t work for me sadly! 😩

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.