Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gnarlodious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
I'm running Big Sur trying to copy video files from a FAT32 disk to a ExFat disk. Some of the MP4 videos copy normally, but others are unable to copy the file's metadata, and Quicktime errors trying to open them. The metadata is visible on the source disk, and play as expected, but the target disk files are simply missing the codecs and file info (copied file on the right):
Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 9.40.24 AM.png

I get the same behavior using Finder copy, Terminal's cp command and rsync with extended attributes. I even turned off indexing on the target disk, deleted the index file, ejected and restarted indexing, to no avail. I previously tried copying to an Apple Extended disk but got the same behavior. Does anyone know what's wrong? Are the source file corrupted? If so, why would they play on the source disk but fail to copy?

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I encountered the same problem on Big Sur with an exFAT disk. Finder seemed to copy video files faster than usual, but they were corrupted. I ended up using a Quick Action with rsync.
Shell script:
Code:
rsync $* /Volumes/ExFat_Disk/

Last edited:

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Try copying to a different source/directly to Mac first. Could be some dodgy behavior from APFS or installed software (plist, daemon)
And what if you'll add them to an archive?

Gnarlodious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
I don't have a Windows computer, and I don't know anyone who has one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.