Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakis_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
Does anyone know how to copy large files to a usb flash drive through airport extreme? I read that I have to format this as hfs+ but this doesn't work for me cause I use windows and usb drive won't be readable to my pc. My usb sticks are formatted as FAT32. Airport reads them OK and copies files with no problem except big files (as movies). Anyone knows a solution?

sakis_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit. Use ExFAT and see if that works
Manufacturer says ExFAT and NTFS are not compatible. And I think you're wrong about 4GB limit. I am not able to copy a file of size only 750MB.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Manufacturer says ExFAT and NTFS are not compatible. And I think you're wrong about 4GB limit. I am not able to copy a file of size only 750MB.

I am not wrong about FAT32 having a file size limit of 4GB. If you're running into issues already at 750MB, obviously your issue doesn't stem from that restriction, but the file system limitation most certainly is at 4GB.

If you connect the AirPort via Ethernet is the issue persistent? I'm thinking you may be seeing network failures.

sakis_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
I am not wrong about FAT32 having a file size limit of 4GB. If you're running into issues already at 750MB, obviously your issue doesn't stem from that restriction, but the file system limitation most certainly is at 4GB.

If you connect the AirPort via Ethernet is the issue persistent? I'm thinking you may be seeing network failures.
Airport is connected via ethernet. I don't think it's a network problem because songs and images are copied fast without problem. Files like this of 750MB not even start being copied. Progress bar in windows remains at 0% and then window freezes.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Airport is connected via ethernet. I don't think it's a network problem because songs and images are copied fast without problem. Files like this of 750MB not even start being copied. Progress bar in windows remains at 0% and then window freezes.

Is it possible to try and borrow a Mac and see if the same thing happens?

sakis_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
Is it possible to try and borrow a Mac and see if the same thing happens?
I tried today with a Mac. It doesn't copy either. When I formatted usb drive as hfs+ it does copy large files but this format doesn’t fit for me cause neither my PC reads this nor my TV. Fat32 is the solution for both airport extreme and other devices but I don't understand why it only copies small files and not larger ones. Any other ideas?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I tried today with a Mac. It doesn't copy either. When I formatted usb drive as hfs+ it does copy large files but this format doesn’t fit for me cause neither my PC reads this nor my TV. Fat32 is the solution for both airport extreme and other devices but I don't understand why it only copies small files and not larger ones. Any other ideas?

Sorry. I’m frankly quite confused that that you’re limited at such relatively small file sizes compared to what you theoretically should see. I’m at a loss. Hope someone else can clear it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.