Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
How do i put a copyright on digital pictures before exporting them to clients. I just did a weeklong photoshoot and clients are wanting copies of thier pictures. Trouble is they want them digitally, what is the best way to go about making sure that my name sticks with any manipulation/distribution/etc that the photos may go through. Can i embed it in the metadata, place it as like a little logo/stamp thing on the pictures? Thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
TheMasin9 said:
How do i put a copyright on digital pictures before exporting them to clients.

Go to goggle.com and enter two words into the search box "photoshop watermark" with no quotes. The search turns up any number of tutorials on how to do this.

here is just one example
http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=339

That said, I think these thinks look ugly. And worse why not write "I don't trust you" and everything you hand over to clients. Why don't you just give them screen resolution proofs?

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
TheMasin9 said:
How do i put a copyright on digital pictures before exporting them to clients. I just did a weeklong photoshoot and clients are wanting copies of thier pictures. Trouble is they want them digitally, what is the best way to go about making sure that my name sticks with any manipulation/distribution/etc that the photos may go through. Can i embed it in the metadata, place it as like a little logo/stamp thing on the pictures? Thanks
You can use photoshop to watermark yor photos but, that is no gaurantee that someone wont be able to remove it. With the right amount of time I can remove any watermark you put on a photo, so it's not 100% fool proof, but most honest people wont ever bother with trying to remove it. It may discourage the average person from stealing your work but if someone really wants it they will remove the watermark and use it. The best thing you could do is to submit low res shots on the web (72dpi) and make them small (200 X 300 or so) so people can't enlarge them and print them. Good Luck.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Some people put invisible watermarks on their pics. You can only find it if you are looking for it. Most people won't ever notice it's there. That way if someone does steal a pic, you can prove that the pic is yours.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
invisible watermark

grapes911 said:
Some people put invisible watermarks on their pics. You can only find it if you are looking for it. Most people won't ever notice it's there. That way if someone does steal a pic, you can prove that the pic is yours.
could you possible explain how?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
ChrisA said:
Go to goggle.com and enter two words into the search box "photoshop watermark" with no quotes. The search turns up any number of tutorials on how to do this.

here is just one example
http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=339

That said, I think these thinks look ugly. And worse why not write "I don't trust you" and everything you hand over to clients. Why don't you just give them screen resolution proofs?

what are "screen resolution proofs"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.