Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WuMing2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
Always assumed my iPad Air 2 to be faster than my MBA 2010. Because Geekbench says so.

But today noticed my trusted laptop is scrolling through a long entry with images in Notes like a breeze. Edit is also completely responsive. The same note on the Air 2 requires some patience instead. Scrolling experiences stuttering and editing noticeable delays. Still perfectly usable but the difficulty is clear.

Was not expecting the equivalent of a .rtf stored on SQLite synced over iCloud to seriously slow down a 3 cores CPU and 8 cores GPU. Is it the different amount of RAM instead?

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
It’s probably another example to adress “how useful are certain benchmark results and their validity for general qualifications”. 😀
In any case: the Air has 2Gb of Ram, how much has your MBA? which version of OS on both? Depending on the later you can run Usage on the iPad to monitor RAM use; on the MBA you can use the Activity Monitor. You are loading a local copy of the note on both I presume.

WuMing2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
Notes is not a viewer of web pages it shows the latest available local version.

Mac has 4 GB of RAM.

More than RAM pressure, with compressed memory and automatic apps status management, I think implementation plays a major role. Perhaps on iPadOS 15 Notes app simply loads everything to memory. On macOS 10.13 some pagination and lazy loading may be at play. Also Notes for iPadOS / iOS has the function to show revisions and contributors, hence with more info to load, missing on my Mac. Still it's just text and few images.

With Notes and Usage side to side memory is at 96% on the iPad but doesn't mean much. Active + wired is 58% only. The app occupies less than 150 MB of RAM on the Mac.

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021
Potentially the storage. A8 was the last one before Apple boosted the iOS devices to NVMe.

Or just the app being less optimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.