Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
Some weeks ago I've been planing to finally archive all my photos in the right way.

Mi iPhone is full of pics and my free iCloud account can't store all my Reflex photos.

So... my plan is to setup Photos on OSX as my main Library, without sync it with iCloud. So, that way I could store all my reflex photos, scans, photos taken with the iphone, etc... all together and categorized.

And on my phone... I just want to have the latest photos, synced with iCloud, and once a month or every 3 months I will move them to OSX and deleted them from the Phone.

So what's the right way to configure Photos settings on OSX and iOS. I've been trying but can't archive this goal.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
As I'm the owner of a iPhone 6 Plus with only 16 GB - yeh I know, next time it'll be a much larger GB iPhone - I'm struggling with the exact same issue.

Even though I've deleted all photos on iOS and in Photos on OS X 10.10.5, iCloud still keeps my iPhone hostage for ~800 MB.

Cheers

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
My problem is not the iphone, it is with icloud and its 5gb free cloud storage.
I want to keep a backup of the iphone with the latest photos.
And in OSX, i will keep a backup of the photos folder with my NAS.

So I just want to know how I have to setup photos config on osx and ios.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The best answer, is spend the €12/year to get enough iCloud storage.

The other method, is turn off iCloud Photo Library and only use the old Photo Stream feature. Your photos are "backed up" to iCloud that way without using your iCloud storage but only temporarily, you have 30 days to bring them in from Photo Stream to your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph13693

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
The best answer, is spend the €12/year to get enough iCloud storage.

The other method, is turn off iCloud Photo Library and only use the old Photo Stream feature. Your photos are "backed up" to iCloud that way without using your iCloud storage but only temporarily, you have 30 days to bring them in from Photo Stream to your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph13693

Ok, so following this way... Photos on OSX should be setting up this way.

https://cl.ly/1Q03040I3a1Y

And on iOS? is there any way to keep my photos on iOS backing up with the 5gb free icloud account?

I suppose that with the Photo Stream feature... I could send photos from the iphone to the mac vía USB, isn't it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
or find another way to store your photos on your mac? ie use icloud to get the photos from the phone to the mac, and find either another app to organize them, or create a master photo folder with subfolders (ie organized by event, or month, etc). i have a client who does this: she has a Photos folder, and in that, she does 01_event, 02_eventother, etc (the events, of course, being named to what they are). the numbering allows her to keep them chronological...

just an idea.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
The Image Capture app on the Mac will let you treat your iPhone like a regular camera. You can download and organize all your images and movie files old-school style, straight to whatever folders you want, just like in the days before iPhoto and Photos.

Reactions: Potus325

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ok, so following this way... Photos on OSX should be setting up this way.

https://cl.ly/1Q03040I3a1Y

And on iOS? is there any way to keep my photos on iOS backing up with the 5gb free icloud account?

I suppose that with the Photo Stream feature... I could send photos from the iphone to the mac vía USB, isn't it?
Photo Stream sends all your new photos to iCloud, but in a way that does not use your storage. You can then import them into Photos on your Mac from there. So it "Typically" isn't necessary to use USB, but you could for faster transfer.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Don't use Mac Photos app unless you want headaches in the future.

The best way to deal with photos & video is the old fashioned way: in the Finder- organized folders by dates.
Name the folders by dates. Example: (2017.0315 Vacation Photos).
The last 4 digits after the year is the month/day.

Every time you import a group of photos create a new folder with the date & description as its name.

Get the app. "A Better Finder Rename" to batch rename your imported photos in each folder group so you can search for them in the finder by name.

iPhoto & Photos app is Apple's way of making something simple, confusing and potentially a major pain.

Get the iOS app: Transmit to wirelessly transfer your photos to your mac. & from your mac to your iPhone.
Get the iOS app: File Browser to be able to browse through all your photos on your mac by picture icon (& search by name too).
Transmit is a required app for the iPhone. It's only drawback is that it doesn't have picture icon previews. They're generic icons.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What I do is have iCloud Photo Library turned on, optimize storage turned ON on my iOS devices, optimize storage turned OFF on my Mac. That way images sync to my Mac and it conserves space on my iPhone and iPad. This does require me having addition space purchased for iCloud (99 cents a month here in the US for 50gb).

So I'll have a physical back up locally and a cloud backup in the event my HDD dies (although I also have it backed up to a NAS). I have all my photos always available to me (assuming I have data). Very simple and requires no additional effort or maintenance on my end. For me personally, it just works.

Otherwise you can do as mentioned above which I'm sure works fine.

Avoid Photo Stream you'll lose the native resolution/quality of the images. Its "free" nature comes at an expense and photo storage isn't its intended purpose.

nwoodsxx

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Katy, TX
As I move further and further toward a paperless way of doing things, I find myself taking pictures of everything including important documents, screens at trade conferences, my drivers' license & passport & other legal docs, etc. In order for this to work, a robust filing system is necessary. My basic problem is that when looking at my Camera Roll, I cannot tell at a glance which of my photos have not yet been properly filed into a folder.

To illustrate, imagine a pile of unrelated hard-copy documents sprawled out on the floor. If I want to file all of these docs away in topic-based folders, I take each doc and place it in the appropriate folder. As new docs come along, I can see these loose docs on the floor and realize at a glance that I need to file them away.

However, the way Photos works, it is as if I make a copy of each of those loose docs and put the copy in a folder but the original remains on the floor. Thus, the entire pile of unrelated docs (originals, that is) always remains on the floor and I have no idea which of these docs has ever been filed or not.

That's my problem. I've searched high and lower for a remedy, or even another user expressing the same need. In the past, when I haven't been able to find anyone else asking the same question, chances are good that I'm not using the functionality as it was intended. I'm okay with doing it a different way (even if non-intuitive to me) but so far, I can't think of a solution. Help please?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I cannot tell at a glance which of my photos have not yet been properly filed into a folder.
You could create a smart album, of photos not in other albums:

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 5.17.11 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.