Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
So I have a slight problem. One of my CF cards appears to be corrupted in some way. Now there aren't any pictures stuck on it or anything, it somehow happened after I transferred the last batch of pictures, but now the card will not format. Does anyone have an idea of how to get it working again? It's a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB if that helps. I have two more so it's admittedly not really hurting my workflow that much but I'd still like to get it up and running again if I can.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I've tried it on the camera and with disk utility. The camera simply says cannot format, change card. Disk utility acts like it works, and I can even put files on it and such from my computer, but the camera simply refuses to accept it. It's very odd.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Chuck it. Can you afford to lose 8gb of images if it screws up while it's full? Once electronics start to fail, it's time to get new electronics, even if you can get it working again, it is very likely to fail again. Just my .02

EDIT: Is this the only card your camera doesn't like? Check the pins in the CF slot in your camera and make sure none are bent.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Yep, it's the only one. But yeah, I suppose that's a good point, 'tis risky. And as another note, my mom's windows laptop doesn't even see it if I plug it into a card reader.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
So I have a slight problem. One of my CF cards appears to be corrupted in some way. Now there aren't any pictures stuck on it or anything, it somehow happened after I transferred the last batch of pictures, but now the card will not format. Does anyone have an idea of how to get it working again? It's a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB if that helps. I have two more so it's admittedly not really hurting my workflow that much but I'd still like to get it up and running again if I can.
This is new enough that it should still be under warranty. Send it back to SanDisk for a replacement.

http://apac.sandisk.com/Retail/DocumentInfo.aspx?DocumentID=3010

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Ohhh didn't realize their warranty was that long. I'll definitely check in to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.