Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rynoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Virginia
Hi all; I've tried searching on this, but no luck. Hopefully someone has seen this before, or can tell me how to search better. Random images imported from both of my Canon point-and-shoots import with some kind of corruption (see attached). If I reimport the corrupted image multiple times, it will import correctly. Image Capture will do the same thing.

I've tried rebooting, removing preference files, and repairing permissions. No luck with anything. I have not tried importing on another Mac (yet), nor have I reinstalled iPhoto. I was hoping this would go away with my new Canon, but some images were again corrupted when I tried the import today.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    822.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    524.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2328.JPG
    IMG_2328.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 103

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Are you importing them by plugging the camera into a USB port, or by using a card reader? If it's the latter it could be a faulty card reader. If it's the former, have you tried using a different USB port / lead?

rynoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Virginia
Are you importing them by plugging the camera into a USB port, or by using a card reader? If it's the latter it could be a faulty card reader. If it's the former, have you tried using a different USB port / lead?

I've tried all the USB ports on my Power Mac G5, including the two keyboard ports. Each one allows this corruption. I tried Belkin's card reader, but my Mac won't read it correctly. I also tried the card reader on other machines, and it doesn't work on them either.

I've also tried swapping out the USB cables. FWIW, I called Canon when it happened with my original camera, and they told me it was my computer since the images looked okay via the LCD screen.

Does anyone know what this kind of corruption is called? :confused:

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.