Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymoususer135799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2020
I plugged in my iPod Shuffle to my laptop today, and I got a message from iTunes saying that it detected an iPod which appears to be corrupted and had to be restored. I clicked on "Restore", but then I got another message saying that the iPod could not be restored, with an error message saying 1442.

I did unplug and plug the device back in the laptop while trying to fix the device, I really need help restoring the iPod to its factory mode. If you have any ideas on how to restore the device, I would appreciate it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I hate to tell you this.... but when a Shuffle goes south, it's usually non repairable. I've gone thru many of them over the years. They usually fail because the small battery in them dies and there is no practical way to change it out.

That error you received is an indication of hardware failure. Apple has discontinued selling the iPod Shuffle and Nano back in 2017 so replacing it with a new one is not possible at least from Apple.

Check eBay.

Reactions: TiggrToo

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
If you are unable to restore your iPod using iTunes, you can hard reset your iPod. iPod Shuffles can be reset by doing the following procedure: unplug from computer (if connected), move the hold switch to the off position, wait five seconds, then move the hold switch to either the play in order or shuffle position.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Which generation of the Shuffle is this? If it's the first or second, there was an app written by Apple to reset the software when iTunes fails to, works great in most cases. It may or may not launch depending on your operating system, but the software is still available.

anonymoususer135799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2020
Which generation of the Shuffle is this? If it's the first or second, there was an app written by Apple to reset the software when iTunes fails to, works great in most cases. It may or may not launch depending on your operating system, but the software is still available.
It is a 1st generation shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.