Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
After uninstalling Skype yesterday to see if re-installing would help a glitch I've been having, I've found the Finder is not working properly. At first I couldn't click to open any Desktop files though they would open if I went through the appropriate app. Force Quit seemed to help that. But now the Finder menu doesn't work except sporadically and most of the time I can't open the Finder folder from the Dock. Although I can open a new Finder window from the menu strangely. I've tried deleting the preference file in ~/Library/Preferences but that didn't seem to do anything.

Add to that I can't reinstall Skype. The dmg file won't open. Anyone understand what is going on? I run Sierra on a 2009 2.26GHz Mac Mini.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You probably already tried this, but...

... Have you tried shutting down the Mac (power all the way off), and then... rebooting?

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Yes, numerous times. Right now it seems okay but how long that will last i don't know.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
The problem has returned. I've reinstalled Sierra via the unsupported Mac fix but the situation has not improved. The hard drive appears to be healthy. That's really weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.