Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bojack Horseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know how much an AASP would charge? I want to buy a Mac Mini as my first Mac ever. I'm considering the i5, 16GB, 256GB version for photo editing. But since the RAM is upgradeable, I want to save some money for now and settle for the 8gb version and upgrade later. I know I can upgrade myself, but I don't want to void the warranty that comes with opening up the computer. Also read some post here saying non Apple RAM causes Kernel Panics.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
If you're just talking about the upgrade to 16GB, you're not saving all that much by doing it yourself, so if you have to pay someone to do it, there's a decent chance you would end up losing money on the deal. It's the people who want 32+ who really save money by doing it themselves.

Juggar

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Probably 1 hour of labor. Course since its apple stuff, I assume around $75-100.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Does anyone know how much an AASP would charge? I want to buy a Mac Mini as my first Mac ever. I'm considering the i5, 16GB, 256GB version for photo editing. But since the RAM is upgradeable, I want to save some money for now and settle for the 8gb version and upgrade later. I know I can upgrade myself, but I don't want to void the warranty that comes with opening up the computer. Also read some post here saying non Apple RAM causes Kernel Panics.
I haven't heard of any third party RAM causing kernel panics.

To upgrade to 16GB yourself costs around $110 - $130. Apple charges $200. You have to decide if this is worth it to you based on your skill level. To "me", this mod looks easy... but to most, probably not so much.

At the 32GB level, things are a little bit different. Apple charges $600 for this upgrade. The RAM itself costs roughly $260 - $300. This is a substantial savings. Will make most users rethink their skill level and at least attempt the install.

Opening up any new device is always risky. You have to decide whether or not it's worth it to you. Will you void your warranty? Maybe, if you screw something up that's noticeable. But there are already (probably) hundreds of users who have already opened their machines to install better RAM and succeeded. You have to decide which path is right for you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want 16gb, it's probably best to just buy it from Apple factory-installed and be done with it.

It's "in there", you know it will work, you don't have to open the Mini, and the "buy-in" price isn't all that much more than doing it yourself...

Reactions: WankerWeasel

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
yes, your ideology is fine since the RAM is a user upgradable however this will not void the warranty unless if you damage any internal parts that will void the warranty right away.

If you are confident enough to do it - 8gb is fine for now and upgrade later, otherwise, it's better to buy from Apple 16GB.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

My local AASP charges scratch that if you buy the ram from them they will install it for free but if you bring in your own ram they will charge 150.

Last edited:

WankerWeasel

Suspended
Dec 10, 2004
USA
Usually runs about $50. Pretty easy to do yourself too and there are a ton of instructions online. Never had an issue with kernel panic using 3rd party RAM as long as it's reputable stuff.

Buy it from OWC and you'll be just fine. They sell great stuff and it even comes with the tools you need to install it. Lifetime warranty too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.