Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Hi all,

Has anyone had experience getting their top case of a MacBook Pro replaced out of warranty and how much it might cost with parts and labor?

My MacBook Pro Touchbar Late 2016, took some recent scratches, and when the time comes to sell my laptop, I want it to be emaculate, so I'm wondering what it might cost to just replace that top case, so the scratches go away.

SurfaceBookUser

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2016
I believe it's $700 in the US. Just use it enough so that the keyboard breaks, and you can get it done for free.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
We have had a number of keyboards replaced, with more yet to come this month . . . Seemingly a never ending saga. Not to mention the incredibly loud typing when in a law library and the clicking sound that is supposedly a design feature to dissipate heat.

The pricing shown, although covered under warranty, is just above USD$800. And the last replacement, at an Apple shop, required quite some time as there was a dearth of parts due to high replacement demand.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
If you request a battery replacement, it should be $199 plus tax if applicable.

If a repair, the invoices I have from top case replacement due to failed keyboards show a parts cost of $695 and a flat rate labor cost of $100, for a total of $795 plus any applicable tax. At last count, I have six such invoices from failed keyboards.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
If you request a battery replacement, it should be $199 plus tax if applicable.

If a repair, the invoices I have from top case replacement due to failed keyboards show a parts cost of $695 and a flat rate labor cost of $100, for a total of $795 plus any applicable tax. At last count, I have six such invoices from failed keyboards.

That's what it shows on my invoice as well, thank God for AppleCare. I have only had the one, I hope I don't need it again. By chance, did you discuss replacement with that many failures? I would hope that's an option at some point.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Naimfan wrote:
"If you request a battery replacement, it should be $199 plus tax if applicable.
If a repair, the invoices I have from top case replacement due to failed keyboards show a parts cost of $695 and a flat rate labor cost of $100, for a total of $795 plus any applicable tax. At last count, I have six such invoices from failed keyboards."

Something doesn't compute here.

I can't see Apple absorbing $500 of the cost (of the topcase) every time a customer asks for a "battery replacement".

Perhaps the battery is removable/replaceable on a topcase WITHOUT having to replace the entire assembly? In which case the customer gets the OLD topcase back with a new battery?

It's really too early for the 2016/2017 batteries to be failing, in any case.
However -- going to be interesting 2, 3 or 4 years down the road when the batteries DO start to give out.

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with the keyboard/topcase replacements for owners who have had their warranties run out.

KeyGate™ is only just getting underway.
Wait until Apple no longer is willing to pay for these replacements, and tells the owners they have to cough up $700+ for failed keyboards!

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Naimfan wrote:
"If you request a battery replacement, it should be $199 plus tax if applicable.
If a repair, the invoices I have from top case replacement due to failed keyboards show a parts cost of $695 and a flat rate labor cost of $100, for a total of $795 plus any applicable tax. At last count, I have six such invoices from failed keyboards."

Something doesn't compute here.

I can't see Apple absorbing $500 of the cost (of the topcase) every time a customer asks for a "battery replacement".

Perhaps the battery is removable/replaceable on a topcase WITHOUT having to replace the entire assembly? In which case the customer gets the OLD topcase back with a new battery?

It's really too early for the 2016/2017 batteries to be failing, in any case.
However -- going to be interesting 2, 3 or 4 years down the road when the batteries DO start to give out.

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with the keyboard/topcase replacements for owners who have had their warranties run out.

KeyGate™ is only just getting underway.
Wait until Apple no longer is willing to pay for these replacements, and tells the owners they have to cough up $700+ for failed keyboards!

For what it worth, we have asked each time we have taken in a laptop for the keyboard replacement if the battery and the keyboard would require the entire top case replacement. Each time Apple has told us, "yes". In turn we have asked if the price would be about the same, and again, the reply has been, "yes". Furthermore, the Apple tech recommended we have everything checked, battery replaced etc BEFORE Apple Extended Care expires . . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.