Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
Starting from this article

Could Apple rig up a feature where it would detect an Apple iPhone on the other end and start an encrypted voice link rather than the normal wireless link?

Or... perhaps it would be pre-determined by the user. I know that there are various apps that do this but it seems like a selling point if Apple could "make it easier".

Thoughts?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Could Apple rig up a feature where it would detect an Apple iPhone on the other end and start an encrypted voice link rather than the normal wireless link?

Or... perhaps it would be pre-determined by the user. I know that there are various apps that do this but it seems like a selling point if Apple could "make it easier".

Thoughts?
Because we need that? There is other apps that do it already and is platform agnostic.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Thoughts?
Like FaceTime Audio?

Reactions: davidmartindale

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
Because we need that? There is other apps that do it already and is platform agnostic.
Yes, we do.

This YouTube video is 7 years old. He is talking about existing technology but no one to my knowledge has put together a wall wart like he is wanting.

Encrypted email has been around since 2000 if not before yet no one uses it.

All of this is due to convenience and critical mass. It is not drop dead easy or ubiquitous and it is definitely not the default. So average Joe doesn't use it.

We need not just encrypted phone but social media servers, email servers, web servers, etc all within your own home and private -- not searchable without a warrant. And we need all of that drop dead easy, convenient, and readily available.

One of the jokes he makes is the data is far greater than the holes of missing data so the powers of inference is huge. The MIT students could infer the sexual orientation of other people based on public knowledge about other people. We can't really protect ourselves without protecting the masses... not really.

Someone... like Apple, with huge presence, exposure, and clout needs to start leading the charge. Sure Stallman, Moglen, EFF, and FSF are powerful but they are reaching trivial numbers of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.