Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maurihamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
I have an iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black, bought it 10 days ago!
The thing is that I always use screen protectors, and the last one was wrong placed, so I tried to remove it with my hands but I couldn't. Then I tried to remove it using a small sucking cup (the one that came with the new screen protector), I didn't use a lot of force, and after one attempt, I finally removed it with my fingernail.

But now I started to think that maybe I damaged my display/adhesive using this suction cup! Of course it looks and works perfectly, but this though is bothering me all the time, being a new phone that I was taking so much care of...
Is it possible to damage the phone's gasket, adhesive or display doing this little pressure with a suction cup?

maurihamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Yeah, I've been blaming myself for being such a fool and trying to remove it with a suction cup...
I've not used force when pulling, and neither noticed anything popping off... (I don't know how to check for the seal integrity anyways)

neild1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, I've been blaming myself for being such a fool and trying to remove it with a suction cup...
I've not used force when pulling, and neither noticed anything popping off... (I don't know how to check for the seal integrity anyways)
Nothing to worry about if your LCD is OK, trust me you would know furthermore the screen is held down by two screws at the bottom of the iPhone so nothing moved.

Reactions: maurihamm

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I think you should be okay because the two screws at the bottom of the phone keep the screen in place and prevent it from moving. I think a lot of force would be required to break the screws and damage the adhesive or display.

maurihamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
I think you should be okay because the two screws at the bottom of the phone keep the screen in place and prevent it from moving. I think a lot of force would be required to break the screws and damage the adhesive or display.

Thanks! Of course I didn't use a lot of force!, I'm not that crazy ;)

Reactions: Aditya_S

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have an iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black, bought it 10 days ago!
The thing is that I always use screen protectors, and the last one was wrong placed, so I tried to remove it with my hands but I couldn't. Then I tried to remove it using a small sucking cup (the one that came with the new screen protector), I didn't use a lot of force, and after one attempt, I finally removed it with my fingernail.

But now I started to think that maybe I damaged my display/adhesive using this suction cup! Of course it looks and works perfectly, but this though is bothering me all the time, being a new phone that I was taking so much care of...
Is it possible to damage the phone's gasket, adhesive or display doing this little pressure with a suction cup?

What makes you believe you may have damaged the screen? What has changed before and after the removal of the screen protector? You never stated why you believe it's damaged, only to say you think you may have damaged it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
What makes you believe you may have damaged the screen? What has changed before and after the removal of the screen protector? You never stated why you believe it's damaged, only to say you think you may have damaged it.
But now I started to think that maybe I damaged my display/adhesive using this suction cup!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

@3pp. But WHY does the OP think that? Whats the screen exhibiting that it shouldn't be? Other than the OP Believes the screen is fine. That doesn't exactly make sense if you re-read the post.

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
@3pp. But WHY does the OP think that? Whats the screen exhibiting that it shouldn't be? Other than the OP Believes the screen is fine. That doesn't exactly make sense if you re-read the post.
I dunno but I can kinda see why. If I had done it, given it's now water resistant I might be worried I popped the seal, or at least breached it, without realising. Which you wouldn't notice looking at it I guess.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I dunno but I can kinda see why. If I had done it, given it's now water resistant I might be worried I popped the seal, or at least breached it, without realising. Which you wouldn't notice looking at it I guess.

If the OP believes it's fine and working as normal, then what would lead a person to believe there May be damage? Is the screen not seated properly or is this just an assumption damage "Could" have occurred? If the OP is concerned, then they should bring the device to be inspected by Apple if applicable.

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Have you seen videos of people bending or otherwise trying to destroy the phone?

It's tough. They can take a beating. If you can't see any problem you're fine.

A bit of suction never hurt anybody! :p

Last edited:

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
If the OP believes it's fine and working as normal, then what would lead a person to believe there May be damage? Is the screen not seated properly or is this just an assumption damage "Could" have occurred? If the OP is concerned, then they should bring the device to be inspected by Apple if applicable.
I think the OP makes it quite clear it's just an assumption it could have occurred and wants a second opinion. You're coming across as quite pedantic, it really is quite clear and is not a stupid question. Perhaps he doesn't live near an Apple Store. 10 people replying 'oh it should be fine for X and X reason' might give him some peace of mind its okay. Alternatively, 10 people saying 'oh I've had experience with this and it could be a cause for concern' would be useful for the OP.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I removed a screen protector on my 7 Plus recently and used small piece of packing tape to lift it up my finger did the rest.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think the OP makes it quite clear it's just an assumption it could have occurred and wants a second opinion. You're coming across as quite pedantic, it really is quite clear and is not a stupid question. Perhaps he doesn't live near an Apple Store. 10 people replying 'oh it should be fine for X and X reason' might give him some peace of mind its okay. Alternatively, 10 people saying 'oh I've had experience with this and it could be a cause for concern' would be useful for the OP.

It was an observation. Furthermore, no one claimed the question as "Stupid", yet you interjected a negative, snide remark by doing so, which has no benefit to the OP or other forum members. The Apple Store was a suggestion, rather the OP resides near one or not is irrelevant. I was asking for clarity to further assist the OP, being they never stated WHY they believe the display MAY be damaged. I you think understated my intentions to gather more information to assist the OP.

Yet, you offer no assistance to the OP in this thread, except stating what we already know. Moving on to something more pertinent to discussion....

Last edited:

maurihamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Guys, indeed I don't live near to an Apple Store. As I stated, the phone doesn't show any damage at all, nor did it show when I tried to remove the screen protector. So, it's just a thought that came to my mind because of the waterproofing features and adhesive that the new iP7 has... I realize it's not even a valid thought because I know I didn't apply much force when yanking the suction cup, but as my phone is new and so expensive, I am looking for it like a baby..!

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Guys, indeed I don't live near to an Apple Store. As I stated, the phone doesn't show any damage at all, nor did it show when I tried to remove the screen protector. So, it's just a thought that came to my mind because of the waterproofing features and adhesive that the new iP7 has... I realize it's not even a valid thought because I know I didn't apply much force when yanking the suction cup, but as my phone is new and so expensive, I am looking for it like a baby..!

Don't worry about it. The force you used is probably nowhere near the force used in testing.
The number one enemy with a lot of the design features is time. Things can and will degrade over time.
Take the screen for example. Manipulation over time of using it normally can cause scratches etc. Pushing a button over time can cause it to fail.

Reactions: 3pp

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
That's exactly how I felt when I first got my iPhone 6s a year ago. I used to start a lot of threads on Apple's own support forums asking about stuff I thought might've happened to damage my phone when there was no sign of it occurring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.