Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackMacWindows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
Power Planet G4
Hello,
I like playing around with old versions of operating systems. About five years ago, I got a 533MHz Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio, Early 2001) to play with 10.0-10.4 on. I then installed OS 9 to mess with more.
I recently downloaded and burned a copy of Mac OS X Public Beta to be used on that Power Mac, but I discovered that it could not be booted. I have been looking if there is a solution, but I have found only for Blue & White G3's. I saw in a post here that you need to modify the kernel. If you do, is there a way to do that? Or do I have to just not run Kodiak on it?

Here are some specs to show the Mac (I modified the version name in SystemVersion.plist):
pmg4spec.jpg

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The Mac OS X Public Beta is very picky about hardware, the newest system I've been able to boot it on is a Gigabit Ethernet G4 and only with the Rage 128 GPU installed. The Digital Audio G4 was released after Mac OS X Public Beta so I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I use a Power Mac G3 (B&W) 300 MHz with ATi Rage 128 for the dev previews of Mac OS X (DP 2 and DP 3)
IMHO, I think it wil be easiest to obtain such a Mac.. must be cheap!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Agreed on the Gigabit. PB works very well on them, while it's touchy on the DA.

Just remember that it's time bombed-I think your clock has to be set to before Dec. 31st 2001 for it to boot.

Strangely enough, I've found PB to be a lot less picky about hardware than 10.0. I can run it fine on my Gigabit Ethernet with a 2MX and a decent amount of RAM. I had to use a single 128mb Apple OEM stick along with a Rage 128 to get 10.0 to install.

I also agree about a B&W for DPs. I have a B&W that's dedicated to 1-4 along with a couple of versions of OS X server. The key with those also is to keep the hardware basic-a Rage 128 and a couple of high quality sticks of RAM(preferably Apple OEM if you have them) will keep things going nicely.

JackMacWindows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
Power Planet G4
Strangely enough, I've found PB to be a lot less picky about hardware than 10.0. I can run it fine on my Gigabit Ethernet with a 2MX and a decent amount of RAM. I had to use a single 128mb Apple OEM stick along with a Rage 128 to get 10.0 to install.
I am able to boot to 10.0, so the beta may work.
Just remember that it's time bombed-I think your clock has to be set to before Dec. 31st 2001 for it to boot.
I did not know that, I'll try resetting the clock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.